Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Holes in the garden

In message , K
writes
lloyd writes
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

Could be bank vole. They are very good at making a whole 'rabbit
warren' of little tunnels in grassy areas, and they are very common.
The way the water was disappearing suggests the holes go a long way,
and the fact the cement disappeared suggests the hole is in regular
use, so I don't think it's squirrels burying nuts. Rats are very
sensible cautious creatures, and would prefer somewhere more out of the
way than a lawn which gets a lawn mower over it every couple of weeks or so.

2" is perhaps a bit big for a bank vole - they are usually around 1.5"
and there should be several of them scattered over quite a wide area.
Ours inhabit two areas down one side of the property and are frequently
visible when feeding on seed put out for ground feeding birds.

--
Robert