Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holes in the garden

Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, lloyd wrote
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

We've got a hole like that in our lawn, which I think is squirrels. My
mother, in deepest Brixton, has holes a bit bigger which we think are
more likely foxes, since they are surrounded by old chewed bits of
gardening glove.... But they are both dug from above and I think the
spoil is just scattered around - moles come up ejecting all the soil
from the tunnel below, like a small cold volcano.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote ...
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

Damn squirrels burying nuts, same here and they are also digging and messing
up my large pots too.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"lloyd" wrote ...
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

Damn squirrels burying nuts, same here and they are also digging and
messing up my large pots too.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Do Squirrels dig bulbs up? My daffs got dug up and put in a neat line.
Wifely one thought I had dug the holes but forgot to plant the bulbs.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

lloyd writes
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

Could be bank vole. They are very good at making a whole 'rabbit warren'
of little tunnels in grassy areas, and they are very common. The way the
water was disappearing suggests the holes go a long way, and the fact
the cement disappeared suggests the hole is in regular use, so I don't
think it's squirrels burying nuts. Rats are very sensible cautious
creatures, and would prefer somewhere more out of the way than a lawn
which gets a lawn mower over it every couple of weeks or so.
--
Kay

Old 10-10-2009, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"lloyd" wrote ...
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

Damn squirrels burying nuts, same here and they are also digging and
messing up my large pots too.

Know how you feel :-( They really are a pain, (Greys) every morning I have
to refill my large pots from the ground where the compost has been thrown
out. And it wouldnt be so bad if the little toe-rags could remember where
they've buried the nuts, and retrieve them, but Im constantly having to grub
out cob nut trees from my lawn.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:33:27 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes
[...]

We do have a dyke/ditch running across the other side of the road.
Only really gets water in very heavy rains though. Too small for squiz
or anything like that.

Think I might set up a security light and camera to see if I can find
out what it is. Guess I should maybe unblock the holes then. Where the
soil goes is still a puzzler. Must watch out for the kids shaking soil
from their trouser legs as they pass by.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

lloyd writes
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:33:27 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes

Think I might set up a security light and camera to see if I can find
out what it is. Guess I should maybe unblock the holes then. Where the
soil goes is still a puzzler. Must watch out for the kids shaking soil
from their trouser legs as they pass by.

Pick up a small mammal trap - a plastic live trap, bait it with peanut
butter and see what you catch. Take care when you release it - it will
be a bit cross.
--
Kay
Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
lloyd writes
[...]

2" is perhaps a bit big for a bank vole - they are usually around 1.5"
and there should be several of them scattered over quite a wide area.
Ours inhabit two areas down one side of the property and are frequently
visible when feeding on seed put out for ground feeding birds.

--
Robert
Old 10-10-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:40:50 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:33:27 +0100, K wrote:

lloyd writes

Think I might set up a security light and camera to see if I can find
out what it is. Guess I should maybe unblock the holes then. Where the
soil goes is still a puzzler. Must watch out for the kids shaking soil
from their trouser legs as they pass by.

Pick up a small mammal trap - a plastic live trap, bait it with peanut
butter and see what you catch. Take care when you release it - it will
be a bit cross.

LOL I did that with a rat once when I first arrived here, boy it was
mean and angry......hard work trying to hold the trap at arms length
whilst desperately trying to not run myself in the other direction.
That was a mad rat up and down poles pinching all my bird food off the
feeders. Must have been circus trained.

Just been out to take a look and lift the obstacles off the holes and
it seems there are holes sprouting up all over the place, maybe even
too small for a rat.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:44:18 +0100, robert
wrote:

In message , K
writes
lloyd writes
[...]

Aha see my previous post. I need to set up an observation post I
think. Do they come out in daytime too?
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:15:37 +0100, lloyd wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:44:18 +0100, robert
wrote:

In message , K
writes
lloyd writes
[...]

I see from Wiki they are diurnal and the mannerisms seem to describe
my situation perfectly.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

You don't say where you live. Since the water from your hose disappeared,
and then the cement, it sounds like a bottomless pit is opening up under
your garden. First thing that crossed my mind was old mine workings
shrinking. Since you aren't interested in cricket, you could always take up
golf. :-)

jim, Northampton

Old 11-10-2009, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:09:05 +0100, "jbm" wrote:

"lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
Noticed a couple of holes appeared in the grass this week, about the
size of an empty toilet roll (2inch?) the first one I run the hose
down and it never filled ( A Chaplin sketch comes to mind lol) then I
placed a brick over it. The second I just put some old bricks, cement
down it. Next day the cement had been taken out!!

What could possibly be making them and why? I presume rats though
somewhat small maybe! Why no soil spoil either? If a mole needs to
make such big hills, how come this creature doesn't?

Not too fussed as I only cut my grass to make the lawn tidy, rather
than look like a cricket pitch. Just curious.

You don't say where you live.

The Fens...lots of ditches and dykes here.

Since the water from your hose disappeared,
and then the cement, it sounds like a bottomless pit is opening up under
your garden.

I must confess I did think that as I surveyed my plot.

First thing that crossed my mind was old mine workings
shrinking.

Reclaimed marshland.

Since you aren't interested in cricket, you could always take up
golf. :-)

Excellent idea. That could allow me to use up the old Labour flags I
no longer need.

I like a bit of rough

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lloyd" wrote in message

The Fens...lots of ditches and dykes here.

Not many mines out that way, then.

Reclaimed marshland.

Possibly the abundance of dry weather in that part of the country might be
drying out the area, and shrinkage has set in. Still my favourite, that is.

I like a bit of rough

That's a bit harsh on yourself. :-)

jim, Northampton