Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default This years successesl

Bob Hobden writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

Mulberries. Have eaten them nearly every day since hey started cropping
mid Aug, and have several carrier bags full in the deepfreeze. Can't
claim any credit since the tree just does it all by itself.

Alpine strawberries - about 6 weeks of adding them to cereal each
morning and enough left over to freeze. Again, no credit to me - they
just grow everywhere where nothing else is growing.

Fig is recovering from being moved to make room for new porch, and we've
had 40 this year.

No successes in terms of a big crop, but a steady succession of
contributions to meals - eg most days we've had either a few cherry
tomatoes or miniature sweet peppers to add to the lunch, and we've had
our own fruit every day since mid June. It really has made a pleasant
difference.

I've decided to see whether we can manage a complete year of eating
produce from our garden every single day. The apples will take us
through to January (it wasn't a good year for apples - too cold at
pollination time?). And there should also be cabbagey things, and salad
leaves in the greenhouse. Feb till rhubarb time might be a bit tricky -
I may have to serve scones and medlar jelly with our coffee each morning
;-)

--
Kay