Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This years successesl

Some of this years success stories out on our plot...

Tomatoes.. picked 18lbs of ripe Toms today 11th October, amazing.
We grew three varieties outside on our plot all of which are said to be
Blight resistant and the above comment confirms it, one spray of Bordeaux
Mixture early on is all I've given them.
Ferline and Fantasio are very similar large ordinary shaped Toms and only
show the odd sign of Blight on the odd leaf, it doesn't spread throughout
the plant and if the weather stays OK we expect to pick a lot more. Legend
is a short meaty beefsteak variety with some resistance to blight but a
couple of plants did succumb and some fruit has been affected but again,
with most plants, it doesn't spread throughout the plant and we are still
picking fruit.

Chillies.. As usual Thai Dragon has done wonderfully well with loads of hot
chillies on each plant and that is despite planting them late due to a trip
abroad. Also grown well is the Hungarian Hot Wax type called Inferno, lots
of large medium heat chillies and a lot have gone red despite the weather,
lovely taste too. Both still growing well with more fruit going red by the
day.

Garlic... Germidour and Thermidrome proved excellent, both produced large
clean heads (bigger than a supermarkets), despite having White Rot on the
plot, which is why we have just planted the same again. Marco was a
disaster!!

Shallots.. Jermor, as usual, produced superb shallots excellent in the
kitchen and good for pickling too. Pesandor also did well and is very
similar. We will plant the same next year.

Runner Beans..We grew Celebration as well as our usual White Lady and both
produced good crops of tender tasty beans. Celebration has an strikingly
unusual salmon coloured flower and would be an excellent choice for those
that grow in their back garden, behind flower borders, up fences etc.

So what successes has everyone else had?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

I had a glut of gooseberries, that I'm still eating.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-10-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:02:23 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

I had a glut of gooseberries, that I'm still eating.

I won £10 on the lottery last Wednesday

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹
Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

Mulberries. Have eaten them nearly every day since hey started cropping
mid Aug, and have several carrier bags full in the deepfreeze. Can't
claim any credit since the tree just does it all by itself.

Alpine strawberries - about 6 weeks of adding them to cereal each
morning and enough left over to freeze. Again, no credit to me - they
just grow everywhere where nothing else is growing.

Fig is recovering from being moved to make room for new porch, and we've
had 40 this year.

No successes in terms of a big crop, but a steady succession of
contributions to meals - eg most days we've had either a few cherry
tomatoes or miniature sweet peppers to add to the lunch, and we've had
our own fruit every day since mid June. It really has made a pleasant
difference.

I've decided to see whether we can manage a complete year of eating
produce from our garden every single day. The apples will take us
through to January (it wasn't a good year for apples - too cold at
pollination time?). And there should also be cabbagey things, and salad
leaves in the greenhouse. Feb till rhubarb time might be a bit tricky -
I may have to serve scones and medlar jelly with our coffee each morning
;-)

--
Kay
Old 11-10-2009, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:02:23 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

I had a glut of gooseberries, that I'm still eating.

I bought a pot of Italian flat-leaf parsley from Tesco.
Divided it into 6 and planted it in the greenhouse.
It's flourished for months, we always have fresh parsley and I've
harvested a lot to pack into the freezer.

Did the same with a curly-leafed parsley and that's been almost as
good.

Beats trying to grow the stuff from seed.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:02:23 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
So what successes has everyone else had?

I had a glut of gooseberries, that I'm still eating.

I bought a pot of Italian flat-leaf parsley from Tesco.
Divided it into 6 and planted it in the greenhouse.
It's flourished for months, we always have fresh parsley and I've
harvested a lot to pack into the freezer.

Did the same with a curly-leafed parsley and that's been almost as
good.

Beats trying to grow the stuff from seed.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°¹

We can endorse that one. Get it ('it'? "them") out of the pot as soon as
possible because there are toooooooooooooooooo many in there and reap the
benefits. Done that now for a couple of years or so

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 17-10-2009, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ashmead's Kernel apples. Loads of delicious fruit :-)

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit
Old 17-10-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Tomatoes are still doing well, got 3 melons in the greenhouse
too (although not sure if this is a success - had about 8
plants, only 2 got fruit - but it's the first time I've had
any!), similar for the peppers - not a massive amount of fruit
per plant, but getting /any/ is an improvement on previous.
And I had 1 aubergine plant, but bouhgt as a plant rather than
grown from seed. Had a really impressive amount of fruit from
that.

On the allotment, the courgettes are still going strong and
have been doing for a while; blackcurrants + gooseberries were
impressive when it was their time; raspberries and strawberries
were so-so, but still going. Had my first good year for brassicas
- first time I've ever managed to get full cauliflowers, the
calabrese was a bit wishy washy, but is still going, and the
sprouts + purple sprouting are both looking good.
Potatoes were a bit of a mixed bunch this year.
Oh, and I have 26 butternut squash waiting to be harvested!

Failures this year - last year's overwintered onions + garlic
all went yucky. Beans were disappointing (I think the sunflowers
sucked up all their water!). The one redcurrant plant was a
disappointment. Peas got pea moth.