Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jason Carlton Jason Carlton is offline

Default Goldfish pond

On Oct 11, 5:39 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Is there anything else that I'll need in order to start building?
Aside from the obvious rock border, plants, fish, etc.

Jason, I highly encourage a bottom drain to filter rather than pump in
pond, if that is what you're thinking. You can see how I configured my po

nd
after the fact (about bottom drains) on my webpage. My maintenance is so
much easier, and with having to go back to work and aging, I'm really gla

for bottom drains.

Are you already at the point of digging or planning to start in spring?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I'm hoping to start digging within the next couple of weeks so that I
can put in the plants surrounding the pond, and then stock the pond in
the spring. If things go as planned, then this winter the pond would
just be a glorified fountain.

Step one, though, is having several trees removed from the surrounding
area (mostly pine). They're not close enough to be a real problem, but
I want to make sure that I can remove any roots, too, and to help
prevent pine needles and such from falling into the water. I need 2
weeks of dry weather before the guys can take down the trees, though,
so it's all depending on the weather.

Thanks for the insight on the bottom drain, I'll start looking into
that as soon as I finish this post :-)