Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default onion beds

"Lofty" wrote ...
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to
do this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that same
spot always

We use a four year rotation so our veg plot (allotment) is divided into 4.
Each year the onions are on a different quarter but always the last quarter
so are the last crop to get any benefit of the manure we put on the potato
quarter (first quarter) each year. They get some chicken manure pellets
and/or Growmore at the beginning and we get superb onions etc.

Just dig the bed and make it as friable as possible before planting but the
most important thing is to keep onions weed free, lots of hand weeding.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden