Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default onion beds

Hi All
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to do
this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that same spot
always

many thanks in advance

lofty

Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lofty wrote:
Hi All
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best
way to do this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay
in that same spot always

many thanks in advance

lofty

There are people that will say beds need preparing for everything!
I pulled 24 onions yesterday. They were started in root-trainers, then
planted out. Soil is HEAVY clay. No prep.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lofty wrote:
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to do
this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that same spot
always

Don't leave any annual crops in the same place year to year.
Always rotate to minimize a build up of pests specific to each vegetable.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lofty" wrote ...
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to
do this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that same
spot always

We use a four year rotation so our veg plot (allotment) is divided into 4.
Each year the onions are on a different quarter but always the last quarter
so are the last crop to get any benefit of the manure we put on the potato
quarter (first quarter) each year. They get some chicken manure pellets
and/or Growmore at the beginning and we get superb onions etc.

Just dig the bed and make it as friable as possible before planting but the
most important thing is to keep onions weed free, lots of hand weeding.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-10-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Lofty" wrote ...
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to
do this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that
same spot always

We use a four year rotation so our veg plot (allotment) is divided into 4.
Each year the onions are on a different quarter but always the last
quarter so are the last crop to get any benefit of the manure we put on
the potato quarter (first quarter) each year. They get some chicken manure
pellets and/or Growmore at the beginning and we get superb onions etc.

Just dig the bed and make it as friable as possible before planting but
the most important thing is to keep onions weed free, lots of hand
weeding.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Thanks all, for all the info, much appreciated

lofty

Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 12:16 AM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini Edible Gardening 17 27-07-2007 04:12 PM
onion grass Tom & Vicki Australia 3 01-04-2003 10:32 AM
planting onion seeds zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:08 PM
wild garlic/onion. Terry Lynton United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 02:09 AM