Old 13-10-2009, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lofty Lofty is offline

Default onion beds

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Lofty" wrote ...
I have heard that you need to prepare onion beds, what is the best way to
do this please, and once a bed is prepared do the onions stay in that
same spot always

We use a four year rotation so our veg plot (allotment) is divided into 4.
Each year the onions are on a different quarter but always the last
quarter so are the last crop to get any benefit of the manure we put on
the potato quarter (first quarter) each year. They get some chicken manure
pellets and/or Growmore at the beginning and we get superb onions etc.

Just dig the bed and make it as friable as possible before planting but
the most important thing is to keep onions weed free, lots of hand
weeding.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Thanks all, for all the info, much appreciated

lofty