Old 13-10-2009, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toadstools

In article ,
hugh wrote:
In message , Al
writes
I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

They'll burn themselves out soon enough. We usually get a ring or two in
the Autumn, but they don't last long and don't do any damage.

You could eat them if you want to get rid of them quicker [Disclaimer:
Get a proper ID on them first!]

Right. And it will make damn-all difference to the lawn, because
any damage is done by the mycelium and not the fruiting bodies.

If they are fairy rings then what you will have is very green lush grass
around the perimeter and dead grass in the centre.

Not necessarily. Only some species of fungi will kill the grass;
most of the ones that form fairy rings don't do significant (or
often any) harm to it.

I have one that has been there for 20 years and does no harm.

They are very difficult to get rid of as you will find if you google
them. (Look at RHS site)

The method I have used is to fork the ground around them starting at the
outer edge and working inwards, then soak the ground daily with
detergent and water.

SO far it seems to have worked and the grass is recovering.

Boggle. That's a new one on me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.