Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default Toadstools

I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

Thanks,

--
Chris
Old 12-10-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Oct 2009 09:01:03 GMT, "CT" wrote:

I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

Why should you want to? They do no harm.

Old 13-10-2009, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

They'll burn themselves out soon enough. We usually get a ring or two in
the Autumn, but they don't last long and don't do any damage.

You could eat them if you want to get rid of them quicker [Disclaimer:
Get a proper ID on them first!]

Al.
Old 13-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't recur?
They could be growing on rotting dead wood underground, eg on the roots of a dead/removed tree in which case they will go of their own accord when the wood is all rotted. Or more likely they are a grassland species that grows in rings.

In general there is no reliable way of getting rid of them. But if you approach lawn care with a a less organic, more interventionary, way with regular application of feeds and weedkillers, and scarifying and aerating and so forth, then such lawns are less likely to get fungi growing on them.

But they don't do much harm to the lawn, and most of us just delight in them.

Old 13-10-2009, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Al
writes
I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

They'll burn themselves out soon enough. We usually get a ring or two in
the Autumn, but they don't last long and don't do any damage.

You could eat them if you want to get rid of them quicker [Disclaimer:
Get a proper ID on them first!]

Al.

If they are fairy rings then what you will have is very green lush grass
around the perimeter and dead grass in the centre.

They are very difficult to get rid of as you will find if you google
them. (Look at RHS site)

The method I have used is to fork the ground around them starting at the
outer edge and working inwards, then soak the ground daily with
detergent and water.

SO far it seems to have worked and the grass is recovering.
--
hugh

Old 13-10-2009, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
hugh wrote:
In message , Al
writes
I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

They'll burn themselves out soon enough. We usually get a ring or two in
the Autumn, but they don't last long and don't do any damage.

You could eat them if you want to get rid of them quicker [Disclaimer:
Get a proper ID on them first!]

Right. And it will make damn-all difference to the lawn, because
any damage is done by the mycelium and not the fruiting bodies.

If they are fairy rings then what you will have is very green lush grass
around the perimeter and dead grass in the centre.

Not necessarily. Only some species of fungi will kill the grass;
most of the ones that form fairy rings don't do significant (or
often any) harm to it.

I have one that has been there for 20 years and does no harm.

They are very difficult to get rid of as you will find if you google
them. (Look at RHS site)

The method I have used is to fork the ground around them starting at the
outer edge and working inwards, then soak the ground daily with
detergent and water.

SO far it seems to have worked and the grass is recovering.

Boggle. That's a new one on me.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-10-2009, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
In article ,
hugh wrote:
In message , Al
writes
[...]

Destroys the water-repellent properties of the fungal colony
For the benefit of the OP
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=158
--
hugh

Old 14-10-2009, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 12, 10:01*am, "CT" wrote:
I have a couple of "clumps" of toadstools growing on the lawn. *The
biggest area of the two is probably 20 or so of the buggers, clumped
into a circle the size of a dinner plate. *They're a light brown colour
but don't know what species they are or whether that is relevant.

What's the best way of removing them and ensuring that they don't
re-occur?

Thanks,

--
Chris

Smell them, if they smell of honey, then there is probably a rotting
tree stump underneath. I had those in the UK, it didn't hurt the lawn
and I'm told you can eat honey fungus?

Judith
Old 14-10-2009, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.
Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

It's a pity you didn't name them. That would have been so much more
helpful. Oh, never mind.

Al.

Old 14-10-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Al wrote:
Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

It's a pity you didn't name them. That would have been so much more
helpful. Oh, never mind.

No, it wouldn't. There are dozens, possibly hundreds, and telling
many fungi apart is a hard job for an expert. And, since you ask,
no, I don't know all of the species that form rings - I have
observed only a few in my life, identified even fewer, and can
remember none of them.

It's like the repeated blithering that a dead tree must necessarily
be due to honey fungus - there are hundreds that can kill trees,
and almost none can be told apart by amateurs if they don't produce
fruiting bodies. And some have never been observed to do that.

I suggest that you get a good book on fungi and broaden your mind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-10-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-14 20:36:14 +0100, Al said:

Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

It's a pity you didn't name them. That would have been so much more
helpful. Oh, never mind.

Al.

I disagree. First of all this isn't a professional body, advising
people on what are, or aren't safe or unsafe fungi. Secondly, nobody
is under any obligation to answer at all, so everyone who asks a
question and gets an answer - especially the large quantity of helpful
ones that appear here - is onto a winne, including yourself. Advising
people on edible or not edible wild plants is hazardous and your remark
is pretty unbelievably rude, IMO.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-10-2009, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Judith in France wrote:

Smell them, if they smell of honey, then there is probably a rotting
tree stump underneath. I had those in the UK, it didn't hurt the lawn
and I'm told you can eat honey fungus?

I've removed & disposed of them now as I needed/wanted a final cut to
the lawn, and yes, there is an old tree root underneath where they were
but it's a bit too big to remove

Thanks for all the answers and I'll not overly worry if they re-occur.

--
Chris

toadstools farmer brown Lawns 2 27-07-2003 09:12 PM
Toadstools in new lawn Aileen Howard United Kingdom 0 04-07-2003 07:56 AM
Toadstools/Mushrooms Shepherd Gardening 1 04-06-2003 05:32 PM
White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 18 07-12-2002 05:55 PM
Getting road of Mushrooms/Toadstools Carl United Kingdom 27 20-11-2002 07:10 PM