Old 14-10-2009, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lacecap hydrangea

On Oct 14, 9:33*am, bob wrote:
I've got a huge one. *It's looming over and starving its neighbours of
light so I'd like to make it more compact but I've no idea how to
prune this. *For the last two years I've followed my instincts but it
seems to want to get bigger and bigger.

Could anyone offer any tips? *At this stage I don't really mind
sacrificing next years flowers if I can bring it under control. *

Also leaves are currently very pale. *Is this an acid lover requiring
the same treatment as the azaleas?

Thanks for any insight.

I hack mine right back without problem, I have Japaneze Hydrangea. I
have taken about a dozen cuttings and they have all rooted, no loss at
all. I just plunge them several inches into the soil in a protected
position leaving only 1 inch of topgrowth. I give most away every
Spring but I may well move a mature shrub and replant with a new one.
I find they are almost indestructible. I give mine a feed once a year
and I buy a powdered supplement especially for Hydrangea.

Judith

Judith