Old 14-10-2009, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Toadstools

In article ,
Al wrote:
Probably Fairy Ring Champignon.

Possibly, not probably. There are many others, equally common.

It's a pity you didn't name them. That would have been so much more
helpful. Oh, never mind.

No, it wouldn't. There are dozens, possibly hundreds, and telling
many fungi apart is a hard job for an expert. And, since you ask,
no, I don't know all of the species that form rings - I have
observed only a few in my life, identified even fewer, and can
remember none of them.

It's like the repeated blithering that a dead tree must necessarily
be due to honey fungus - there are hundreds that can kill trees,
and almost none can be told apart by amateurs if they don't produce
fruiting bodies. And some have never been observed to do that.

I suggest that you get a good book on fungi and broaden your mind.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.