Old 17-10-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default This years successesl

Tomatoes are still doing well, got 3 melons in the greenhouse
too (although not sure if this is a success - had about 8
plants, only 2 got fruit - but it's the first time I've had
any!), similar for the peppers - not a massive amount of fruit
per plant, but getting /any/ is an improvement on previous.
And I had 1 aubergine plant, but bouhgt as a plant rather than
grown from seed. Had a really impressive amount of fruit from
that.

On the allotment, the courgettes are still going strong and
have been doing for a while; blackcurrants + gooseberries were
impressive when it was their time; raspberries and strawberries
were so-so, but still going. Had my first good year for brassicas
- first time I've ever managed to get full cauliflowers, the
calabrese was a bit wishy washy, but is still going, and the
sprouts + purple sprouting are both looking good.
Potatoes were a bit of a mixed bunch this year.
Oh, and I have 26 butternut squash waiting to be harvested!

Failures this year - last year's overwintered onions + garlic
all went yucky. Beans were disappointing (I think the sunflowers
sucked up all their water!). The one redcurrant plant was a
disappointment. Peas got pea moth.