Old 17-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Kim

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

In article , says...

One of the houses we lived in when I was a kid had a whole side of
the house dedicated to roses. They were there when we moved in,
and still there three years later when we moved out, my dad took
great care of them. I've just always loved the look and especially
the SMELL. Now I live in my very own house, and it came with a small
rose garden right in the front. Most of the varieties are common HTs
of the 50s/60s (at least the ones I've been able to figure out!), so
nothing special or rare. There were also some pink Simplicities along
a fence. Since then I've added a few of my own, I stumbled on the
Canadian Explorer hardy roses at a fall sale, and have been VERY happy
with them (especially John Cabot!). I have a HUGE briar patch that

Another John Cabot fan! Excellent! That has been my one and only rose to
date, and I enjoyed having it so much, I couldn't bear to "go without" when I
moved. I scoured around and finally found a place to order one (other than
Canada) in Maine. It'll be here shortly. When I called to place the order
(one for me and one for my Mom) in Feb. the folks there still had FEET of snow
on the ground.

How long have you had your John Cabot? I'd only had mine 5 growing seasons
when I moved last fall, and it was huge and wonderful (at least to my untrained
eyes!) How much do you prune yours, and have you tried to shape it at all or
have you just let him grow how he wants to (in terms of the hugely long canes)?

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis