Old 17-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Dan Mazerolle

Default Wrinkly garlic

Leave that garlic alone until July at least.

Good advice if you want the largest bulbs - but - you haven't lived until
you have had green garlic. I will pick one plant out in mid June.
By that time, the bulb is just starting to form but you use the stems. Mine
are planted 4" deep and mulched with 3-4" rough compost so there is about 4"
of white stem that is quite firm as well as 4-6" green stem. Chop it all up
fine and use it as you would any garlic. The first one is usually mixed with
butter, spread liberally over French (OOPS I meant Freedom bread) and
broiled to golden brown. Oh gee, I just drooled on my keyboard.