Old 16-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Mark

Default Wrinkly garlic

I dug up one of my garlic bulbs today (couldn't help myself...too
impatient).

The bulb was, of course, small and not well-formed, but the thing that
struck me was that it appeared wrinkly and not full-fleshed. It was
kind of soft.

Does this have anything to do with my watering habits? I only water
the garlic infrequently since I'm wary of making the ground so soggy
that it would tend toward rotting the bulbs.

Mark
Old 17-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Dan Mazerolle

Leave that garlic alone until July at least.

Good advice if you want the largest bulbs - but - you haven't lived until
you have had green garlic. I will pick one plant out in mid June.
By that time, the bulb is just starting to form but you use the stems. Mine
are planted 4" deep and mulched with 3-4" rough compost so there is about 4"
of white stem that is quite firm as well as 4-6" green stem. Chop it all up
fine and use it as you would any garlic. The first one is usually mixed with
butter, spread liberally over French (OOPS I meant Freedom bread) and
broiled to golden brown. Oh gee, I just drooled on my keyboard.

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
wrinkly passionflower leaves Carol Hughes United Kingdom 0 07-06-2007 02:53 PM
wrinkly leaves @Homeonthecouch Orchids 3 20-07-2005 08:18 PM
wrinkly? undergroundbob Orchids 12 12-03-2005 04:29 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM