Old 21-10-2009, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Raymond RUSSELL Raymond RUSSELL is offline

Default Hazlenut suckers

Hello all

I planted a few hazles and cobs (2 of each) a few years ago.
They all produce nuts but squirrels always get to them before we do.

So I am in the process of moving one of each to another location
where this is less likely to happen
(leaving the others to the squirrels).

All these trees send up numerous suckers that soon outgrow
- and seem to take a lot of energy away from - the original tree.

When I replant them is there a way that I can avoid the suckers,
i.e. planting at a deeper - or shallower - level ?
(I can't actually see any grafting joint).

Best regards from Ray Russell
(Alsace, France)