Old 21-10-2009, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazlenut suckers

Hello all

I planted a few hazles and cobs (2 of each) a few years ago.
They all produce nuts but squirrels always get to them before we do.

So I am in the process of moving one of each to another location
where this is less likely to happen
(leaving the others to the squirrels).

All these trees send up numerous suckers that soon outgrow
- and seem to take a lot of energy away from - the original tree.

When I replant them is there a way that I can avoid the suckers,
i.e. planting at a deeper - or shallower - level ?
(I can't actually see any grafting joint).

Best regards from Ray Russell
(Alsace, France)

Old 21-10-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Raymond RUSSELL wrote:

All these trees send up numerous suckers that soon outgrow
- and seem to take a lot of energy away from - the original tree.

Not really. They don't make much difference, as a hazel isn't
grafted.

When I replant them is there a way that I can avoid the suckers,
i.e. planting at a deeper - or shallower - level ?
(I can't actually see any grafting joint).

No. Hazels are natural shrubs, like bay, and WILL sucker. Just
prune them out, if they get in the way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-08-2010, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"beccabunga" wrote in message

No. Hazels are natural shrubs, like bay, and WILL sucker. Just
prune them out, if they get in the way.

Or coppice the hazel, which will provide you with bean poles, pea
supports and supports for your herbaceous border.

....Not to mention staves for walking sticks if you're inclined to have a go
at making some

Or even firewood and timber large enough to build small houses
from :-) I pruned mine a few years ago with a 30" bowsaw and got
logs up to 9" in diameter - admittedly, it had been there for 25
years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 25-08-2010, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"beccabunga" wrote in message

Or even firewood and timber large enough to build small houses
from :-) I pruned mine a few years ago with a 30" bowsaw and got
logs up to 9" in diameter - admittedly, it had been there for 25
years.

Better still - the nuts, scrumptious especially in their "green" state.
Regards
pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Are these "suckers?" Radika Kesavan Roses 2 30-04-2003 05:56 PM
Are these \"suckers?\" Emil Roses 0 29-04-2003 08:20 PM
Sycamore suckers again Annabel United Kingdom 4 24-02-2003 10:09 AM
suckers froggie Gardening 2 23-02-2003 04:03 PM
[IBC] Suckers as cuttings Neal Ross Bonsai 2 13-02-2003 02:55 AM