Old 21-10-2009, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazlenut suckers

In article ,
Raymond RUSSELL wrote:

All these trees send up numerous suckers that soon outgrow
- and seem to take a lot of energy away from - the original tree.

Not really. They don't make much difference, as a hazel isn't
grafted.

When I replant them is there a way that I can avoid the suckers,
i.e. planting at a deeper - or shallower - level ?
(I can't actually see any grafting joint).

No. Hazels are natural shrubs, like bay, and WILL sucker. Just
prune them out, if they get in the way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.