Old 21-10-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default evergreen for privacy..

On Oct 20, 11:19*am, "mark" wrote:
Our neighbour has had a complete overhaul of his garden, cutting trees back
and generally opening up a part of the garden where, previously, tress,
bushes and shrubs masked out his (largish) house and garage.
We have decided to take our own actions to eventually replace the exposed
area in his garden with tress planted in ours..
My question is what sort of attractive trees, preferably evergreen, that
grow as quick as one can should we consider. *Ultimately, the tree would
need to attain a height of around 25/30 feet and ought to be of a broad
*canopy* . *Indeed, it may be that we need to plant up to three or four
trees in the same vicinity so they should be able to be planted and prosper
and survive in close (ish) proximity to each other..
The usual Leylandi type solution used by many to block out visibility is not
really something we wanted as the garden is very well established ( around
1850) with interesting trees as well as some monsters..
What sort of tree should we consider for this purpose .... *at a limit, we
would consider an attractive deciduous tree(s) but would prefer the all year
round cover that evergreens provide...
Something unusual even, not overly concerned with the cost but we do live on
the Isle of Wight so bringing big, established trees from the mainland is
problematic.. *I'm not even sure there are specific tree suppliers here on
the Island.
Any help and advice appreciated ..

mark

Laurel makes a large, quick growing evergreen screen. You can buy
plants in various sizes. I have used Thuja here and there, it is
fast growing and is easier to control than Lleylandi.

Judith