Old 20-10-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default evergreen for privacy..

Our neighbour has had a complete overhaul of his garden, cutting trees back
and generally opening up a part of the garden where, previously, tress,
bushes and shrubs masked out his (largish) house and garage.
We have decided to take our own actions to eventually replace the exposed
area in his garden with tress planted in ours..
My question is what sort of attractive trees, preferably evergreen, that
grow as quick as one can should we consider. Ultimately, the tree would
need to attain a height of around 25/30 feet and ought to be of a broad
*canopy* . Indeed, it may be that we need to plant up to three or four
trees in the same vicinity so they should be able to be planted and prosper
and survive in close (ish) proximity to each other..
The usual Leylandi type solution used by many to block out visibility is not
really something we wanted as the garden is very well established ( around
1850) with interesting trees as well as some monsters..
What sort of tree should we consider for this purpose .... at a limit, we
would consider an attractive deciduous tree(s) but would prefer the all year
round cover that evergreens provide...
Something unusual even, not overly concerned with the cost but we do live on
the Isle of Wight so bringing big, established trees from the mainland is
problematic.. I'm not even sure there are specific tree suppliers here on
the Island.
Any help and advice appreciated ..

mark

Old 20-10-2009, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-20 11:19:35 +0100, "mark" said:

[...]

Have a look at the various Eucalyptus trees available. They grow
quickly, are evergreen and there are many types and 'styles' available.
Some are good for maintaining at hedge height. They don't have a
large canopy so you might have to plant more of them but they're very
attractive. I don't think you'll find any trouble getting them on the
mainland and having them sent. Here's one you could look at:
http://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/product-list.php?cat=4
and of course there's always Hilliers.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-10-2009, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message

[...]

It sounds like you have the space and aspect to plant big so I would not
totally dismiss Leylandi as a single specimen or better still Thuja. Sequoia
might fit the bill although in a few hundred years it may be a bit tall.
A mix of trees both evergreen and deciduous, with an understory of evergreen
bushes, could be the way forward.

Old 21-10-2009, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 20, 11:19*am, "mark" wrote:
[...]

Laurel makes a large, quick growing evergreen screen. You can buy
plants in various sizes. I have used Thuja here and there, it is
fast growing and is easier to control than Lleylandi.

Judith
Old 21-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Have a look at the various Eucalyptus trees available. They grow
quickly, are evergreen and there are many types and 'styles' available.
Some are good for maintaining at hedge height. They don't have a
large canopy so you might have to plant more of them but they're very
attractive. I don't think you'll find any trouble getting them on the
mainland and having them sent. Here's one you could look at:
http://www.chewvalleytrees.co.uk/product-list.php?cat=4
and of course there's always Hilliers.
Be careful with random Eucs, because many of them will grow a lot more than you were asking for, especially somewhere with mild winters like IoW. For some reason, that kind seems the easiest to get. Though there are more suitable types. I see the particular link Sasha has given you does (unusually)admit to what is large and have some of the smaller ones. I wouldn't say they have the nicest ones though. I'd be looking for E. crenulata, gregsoniana, or pauciflora for choice, though of course we all have our taste in these things.

There's a lot of evergreen trees when you look into it, broadleaf as well as coniferous, including some truly wonderful things if you go look for them. Surely you can find something more interesting than laurel or holly. Unfortunately quite a few lovely things for which you have the climate, such as Gevuina avellana, the Chilean hazelnut, or Crinodendron hookeriana, the Chilean lantern bush, etc, won't grow in your chalky IoW soil. I wonder whether Maiten (Maytenus boaria) would grow for you? They do notably well at Porthmadog.

Old 21-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
[...]

Hi Mark, I also would be looking at Eucalyptus pauciflora but also consider some of the Acacias but because of your lime soils on IoW you would need to choose the variety carefully and from experience I would suggest Acacia retinoides as being a good bushy grower, evergreen, lime tolerant and here in coastal Cornwall flowers very freely! Interplanted with other foliage shrubs that will grow large such as Magnolia grandiflora, Eleagnus x ebbingei spp. Pittosporum spp. Photinia spp. etc. etc. will give a colourful evergreen screen.
Best wishes Lannerman.
Old 22-10-2009, 06:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message

[...]

If you can suffer that it *will* drop leaves Wintertime, then check out a
Pawlonia (Empress Tree)

With proper care/pruning in early years a good size canopy can be effected,
and looks stunning.

Mind you.......the leaves tend to obscure the birds ;-)

Old 22-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Acacia retinoides
Perhaps easier to find if you spell it A. retinodes. Though so many people make the same mistake, perhaps it's easier to find spelled wrong...
Old 22-10-2009, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-21 22:01:00 +0100, lannerman
said:

echinosum;867609 Wrote:
[...]

I just found that the Eucalyptus Nursery in Wales, which is no longer
trading because of the tragic death of its owner, still part maintains
the site for information. It's a very good source but be warned that
it's not fully operational. The photo gallery is still there, though a
bit 'stuttery', so one can get some idea of the looks of a few trees
and the FAQ page is very helpful..
http://www.blueram.net/eucalyptus/faqs.asp
--
Sacha

Old 22-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Perhaps easier to find if you spell it A. retinodes. Though so many people make the same mistake, perhaps it's easier to find spelled wrong...
Yes Echinosum you are right, retinodes not retinoides ( but still one of the best Acacias for non-acidic gardens.
Regards Lannerman.

Advice in Starting Evergreen Privacy Hedge - Zone 5 - WI Spitz Mcgee Gardening 13 27-04-2005 01:54 PM
"Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes? LanscpHort Gardening 3 29-02-2004 02:42 PM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
Evergreen Maxi Spreader and Evergreen weed and feed. Steve S United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 08:32 PM
privacy needed martin United Kingdom 11 20-02-2003 04:16 PM