Old 24-10-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Slot change for GW

"vsop" wrote in message

The trouble is that we just don't really know whose fault all this is.
The presenters are undoubtedly knowledgeable gardeners but having so
many of them makes the whole thing rather 'choppy' - there's no
concentration on anything for more than a minute, or so it feels. But
is this a directive from on high at the BBC about making gardening
'trendy', or is it the director's idea - or what? Last night's wander
off to two enormous gardens with several skilled gardeners made me think
of the irritation of the Chelsea coverage. Instead of concentrating on
the job in hand, they go all pc and take us off to see people growing
chilis in old welly boots or something. If they want a programme on
allotments or the great gardens of Britain, heaven knows there are
enough of those to make an entire series, interviewing owners or
Curators and Head Gardeners about their work and the development of the
gardens. It could be fascinating. But shoving such things into a
teaching programme like GW is just annoying, IMO. Those thousands of
tulips made even me get horticultural indigestion and I love tulips.
All I know is that just when we get hopeful about an improvement, it
seems to take two steps back again. I agree about throwing money at the
garden and feel this is part of the 'trendy' thing. Most people who
garden, do so either alone, or as a pair and on a low budget, especially
nowadays. If they're aiming the programme at those who *can* afford to
spend big bucks, my guess is that those aren't the people who will watch
GW anyway.

--
Sacha

Why watch it if it is so bad?

I don't like football and think it is just 22 men kicking a bag of wind
about, but I would NEVER dream of watching a game and then moan about
it!!!

--
Mike

Again, you miss the point......... if you loved football, was passionate
about it and looked forward to see your weekly first class match on TV,
would you not feel aggrieved if it was presented in a second-rate
disappointing way...... such as, say, frequent and lengthy close-ups of
the crowd, or missed goals, or even mid-game interviews with cranky naval
electricians who's only sporting knowledge might be underwater
amp-volt-ohm juggling.
Do you really not see the point raised by Sacha and the others who all
want to see their hobby/interest shown.... but want it shown in a
first-class interesting way.

Things in this world are for ever changing. Everything is changing all the
time. Live with it and like the change or switch off.

My father in his younger days was a Motor Mechanic involved with Brands
Hatch racing before the War. I was interested in racing, until the races
were won on tactics in the pits as to whether it was a one stop or a two
stop race etc etc.

I know where the off switch is on the TV

If you don't like the change which someone else has made, do your own TV
Gardening programme

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk