Old 23-10-2009, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slot change for GW

Did I mis-hear this? It's being moved to 10.30 for the next 4 weeks.
Autumnwatch is moving to 8.30. This is NOT a good omen for GW, it
seems to me. I think Toby & co. are doing their real best and all know
their stuff. But something isn't right in the direction the programme
is taking. Oh dear.
It makes me feel that the linchpins of GW are struggling against the
odds of the big splashy visits that the producers think will pull in
viewers. None of their gardening feels real any more. It's such a
shame but I do hope this move to 10.30 (10.30!!) doesn't mark the
beginning of the end. I fear it does.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-10-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 Oct, 23:11, Sacha wrote:
Did I mis-hear this? *It's being moved to 10.30 for the next 4 weeks. *
Autumnwatch is moving to 8.30. *This is NOT a good omen for GW, it
seems to me. *I think Toby & co. are doing their real best and all know
their stuff. *But something isn't right in the direction the programme
is taking. *Oh dear.
It makes me feel that the linchpins of GW are struggling against the
odds of the big splashy visits that the producers think will pull in
viewers. *None of their gardening feels real any more. *It's such a
shame but I do hope this move to 10.30 (10.30!!) doesn't mark the
beginning of the end. *I fear it does.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I think that this "Team" are the worst thing to happen to GW, the
sooner they are dispersed and that farce of a garden is got rid off
the better for the Prog.
The way they have thrown monney at the garden has made it so detached
from what the viewer can afford is a discrace
David Hill.
Old 24-10-2009, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 23 Oct, 23:11, Sacha wrote:
[...]

.................................................. .....................

as for Sascha's worry about it moving for four weeks, as I understand it
they will only be repeats or highlights and as the programme/series was so
bad, who cares if it is shifted to 3.30 in the morning?

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 24-10-2009, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

*
[...]

The trouble is that we just don't really know whose fault all this is.
The presenters are undoubtedly knowledgeable gardeners but having so
many of them makes the whole thing rather 'choppy' - there's no
concentration on anything for more than a minute, or so it feels. But
is this a directive from on high at the BBC about making gardening
'trendy', or is it the director's idea - or what? Last night's wander
off to two enormous gardens with several skilled gardeners made me
think of the irritation of the Chelsea coverage. Instead of
concentrating on the job in hand, they go all pc and take us off to see
people growing chilis in old welly boots or something. If they want a
programme on allotments or the great gardens of Britain, heaven knows
there are enough of those to make an entire series, interviewing owners
or Curators and Head Gardeners about their work and the development of
the gardens. It could be fascinating. But shoving such things into a
teaching programme like GW is just annoying, IMO. Those thousands of
tulips made even me get horticultural indigestion and I love tulips.
All I know is that just when we get hopeful about an improvement, it
seems to take two steps back again. I agree about throwing money at
the garden and feel this is part of the 'trendy' thing. Most people
who garden, do so either alone, or as a pair and on a low budget,
especially nowadays. If they're aiming the programme at those who
*can* afford to spend big bucks, my guess is that those aren't the
people who will watch GW anyway.

Old 24-10-2009, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 10:03:54 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

On 23 Oct, 23:11, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Why watch it if it is so bad?

I don't like football and think it is just 22 men kicking a bag of wind
about, but I would NEVER dream of watching a game and then moan about it!!!

Old 24-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Did I mis-hear this? It's being moved to 10.30 for the next 4 weeks.
Autumnwatch is moving to 8.30. This is NOT a good omen for GW, it
seems to me. I think Toby & co. are doing their real best and all know
their stuff. But something isn't right in the direction the programme
is taking. Oh dear.
It makes me feel that the linchpins of GW are struggling against the
odds of the big splashy visits that the producers think will pull in
viewers. None of their gardening feels real any more. It's such a
shame but I do hope this move to 10.30 (10.30!!) doesn't mark the
beginning of the end. I fear it does.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon
It's apparently down to complaints from Autumn watch viewers that it's on too late, so if all the GW viewers complain about it being on too late.............................
Old 24-10-2009, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Again, you miss the point......... if you loved football, was passionate
about it and looked forward to see your weekly first class match on TV,
would you not feel aggrieved if it was presented in a second-rate
disappointing way...... such as, say, frequent and lengthy close-ups of the
crowd, or missed goals, or even mid-game interviews with cranky naval
electricians who's only sporting knowledge might be underwater amp-volt-ohm
juggling.
Do you really not see the point raised by Sacha and the others who all want
to see their hobby/interest shown.... but want it shown in a first-class
interesting way.

Old 24-10-2009, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 11:50:44 +0100, Jennifer Sparkes said:

The message
from "'Mike'" contains these words:

On 2009-10-24 10:03:54 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

On 23 Oct, 23:11, Sacha wrote:
Did I mis-hear this? It's being moved to 10.30 for the next 4 weeks.

The trouble is that we just don't really know whose fault all this is.
The presenters are undoubtedly knowledgeable gardeners ...

Big snip

Why watch it if it is so bad?

I don't like football and think it is just 22 men kicking a bag of wind
about, but I would NEVER dream of watching a game and then moan about it!!!

Mike, I think that is a bit different, ie you don't like football but
the people
moaning about GW do like and are interested in gardening.

Jennifer

One can hardly compare watching a game one doesn't like, to making
constructive cricisms about a teaching programme about something one
does like!

--
Sacha

Old 24-10-2009, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vsop" wrote in message

[...]

Things in this world are for ever changing. Everything is changing all the
time. Live with it and like the change or switch off.

My father in his younger days was a Motor Mechanic involved with Brands
Hatch racing before the War. I was interested in racing, until the races
were won on tactics in the pits as to whether it was a one stop or a two
stop race etc etc.

I know where the off switch is on the TV

If you don't like the change which someone else has made, do your own TV
Gardening programme

Old 24-10-2009, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 11:59:33 +0100, "vsop" said:

The trouble is that we just don't really know whose fault all this is.
The presenters are undoubtedly knowledgeable gardeners but having so
many of them makes the whole thing rather 'choppy' - there's no
concentration on anything for more than a minute, or so it feels. snip

[...]

Bingo! ;-) We're seeing more and more young families coming here to
start on a garden or renovate one. They need really good, clear,
straightforward information and help. We'll do all we can to help but
we're not in their living rooms every Friday evening!
--
Sacha

Old 24-10-2009, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 11:50:44 +0100, Jennifer Sparkes

On 2009-10-24 10:03:54 +0100, Dave Hill
said:

On 23 Oct, 23:11, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Fair comment, so as you have the facilities and you know all the people,
start a Gardening Programme to your liking. Chris Denham of Chris Denham
Production who does the Rick Stein Programmes on TV is in your neck of the
woods. Contact him. Give him my regards when you do. He has my father's 1936
Rover open tourer

Old 24-10-2009, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 24, 11:50*am, Jennifer Sparkes wrote:

Big snip

Why watch it if it is so bad?
I don't like football and think it is just 22 men kicking a bag of wind
about, but I would NEVER dream of watching a game and then moan about it!!!

Mike, I think that is a bit different, ie you don't like football but
the people
moaning about GW do like and are interested in gardening.

Please don't kick Mike - he's only a bag of wind!
Old 24-10-2009, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-24 11:34:27 +0100, Granity
said:

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;867777']Did I mis-hear this? It's being moved to 10.30 for the next 4
[...]

To be honest, I have much more sympathy with Autumnwatch viewers which
are more likely to include children.
--
Sacha

mail slot Gus[_2_] Gardening 6 19-06-2013 08:52 PM
fish change colors ? John Q. Ponds 2 19-11-2003 02:02 AM
when to fertilize? After water change? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
co2 DIY slowing down...when to change bottle? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
No PH change with DIY CO2 Jim Miller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 24 21-02-2003 07:16 PM