Old 25-10-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Leaves

On Oct 25, 10:24*am, vomog wrote:
Judith in France;867755 Wrote:

On Oct 23, 8:50*am, vomog wrote:-
Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does
it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

--
vomog-

Gather them up and put them in bin bags, I added some, er em... pee to
them a few times and got some lovely loam after about a year. *Now I
gather them into huge mounds, as I have too many trees compared to the
few I had in England. I cover the mounds with soil and the old spent
compost from all the various pots and leave it. *Next Spring I should
have enough for about 50-60 pots and baskets.

Judith

Thanks for all your replies. Trouble with Maple leaves is they are so
woody, it takes an age for them to rot down. does bagging them
accelerate this process??

--
vomog

Trouble is, just how many bags might you need? How big must the bag
be? To what extent will the woody skeleton of the leaves deteriorate
so that you end up with bags full of representations of fossils
outlines that are brittle enough to be called useful 'roughage'.

I've never bagged leaves. I've piled them up in a wired cage, added
some leaf-specific compost-accelerator and then rotovated them towards
the end of July, and then kept that stack of leaf mould in a separate
closed in bin (huge), with some form of weight on top, until after the
end of the next leaf fall.