Old 23-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Registered User

Default Leaves

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees for food. Especially my Walnut?

John
Old 23-10-2009, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vomog" wrote in message

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

When the leaves change colour and fall, it's because the tree has reclaimed
the nutrients from it. It won't feed anything, but will add humus to the
soil, most people either use it as leaf mould or just add it to the compost,
depending on how much you have.

Steve

Old 23-10-2009, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-23 08:50:37 +0100, vomog said:

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

You could bag up the leaves in bin liners and leave them to rot down,
thus giving you compost for the rest of the garden. If you deposit
them as 'just leaves', the chances are they'll blow all over your
garden again!
--
Sacha

Old 23-10-2009, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"vomog" wrote in message

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

My Son in Law who has a couple of acres of landscaped gardens, goes over
them with the sit on mower with a fairly close crop, then goes over them
again with the blades set very high. The first cuts them all up, the second
run mulches them all out and spreads them evenly over the lawns.

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 23-10-2009, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:50:37 +0100, vomog
wrote:

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

Don't burn them. You are wasting a valuable resource and causing some
degree of pollution.
Rake them up and compost them somehow. If you have a big enough
garden a leaf-sucker is a good idea, especially one which shreds the
leaves and gathers them in a bag.

Pam in Bristol

Old 23-10-2009, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 23, 8:50*am, vomog wrote:
Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

--
vomog

Gather them up and put them in bin bags, I added some, er em... pee to
them a few times and got some lovely loam after about a year. Now I
gather them into huge mounds, as I have too many trees compared to the
few I had in England. I cover the mounds with soil and the old spent
compost from all the various pots and leave it. Next Spring I should
have enough for about 50-60 pots and baskets.

Judith
Old 25-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith in France View Post
On Oct 23, 8:50*am, vomog wrote:
Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

John

--
vomog

Gather them up and put them in bin bags, I added some, er em... pee to
them a few times and got some lovely loam after about a year. Now I
gather them into huge mounds, as I have too many trees compared to the
few I had in England. I cover the mounds with soil and the old spent
compost from all the various pots and leave it. Next Spring I should
have enough for about 50-60 pots and baskets.

Judith
Thanks for all your replies. Trouble with Maple leaves is they are so woody, it takes an age for them to rot down. does bagging them accelerate this process??
Old 25-10-2009, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 10:24*am, vomog wrote:
Judith in France;867755 Wrote:

On Oct 23, 8:50*am, vomog wrote:-
[...]

Trouble is, just how many bags might you need? How big must the bag
be? To what extent will the woody skeleton of the leaves deteriorate
so that you end up with bags full of representations of fossils
outlines that are brittle enough to be called useful 'roughage'.

I've never bagged leaves. I've piled them up in a wired cage, added
some leaf-specific compost-accelerator and then rotovated them towards
the end of July, and then kept that stack of leaf mould in a separate
closed in bin (huge), with some form of weight on top, until after the
end of the next leaf fall.
Old 25-10-2009, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"vomog" wrote in message

Am I doing the right thing by always burning and mulching my Maple
leaves?? I know it looks awful covering the lawn in Autumn. But does it
not feed the tree,and could I not put it under other less leafy trees
for food. Especially my Walnut?

I make leaf mould which I find is very good seed starter mix.

rob