Old 27-10-2009, 03:41 AM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally[_3_] View Post
I have a plastic compost bin, like an upside down
dustbin, all working very well but just recently when
I remove the lid to add something to the contents, I
am attacked by a million small flies.
Should I do something to get rid of these or are they
doing any good in there ??
If they are working on the compost like the worms do
I can put up with them but if they are doing no good
then they will have to go.

Your input would be appreciated.

Wally
Hi Wally,
Add some chopped up onion minus the root part to your bin, there are few flies that appreciate the smell of onion. I discovered this by accident a number of years ago when I first started composting. It worked for me and may well work for you.

Uriel