Old 30-10-2009, 08:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Hi, new to apple trees

cshenk wrote:
I just planted 2. One is a Yellow Delicious semi-dwarf and the other is
a Granny Smith. They are about 15 ft apart.

Besides adding a tree spike food about 2 ft from the base of each and
watering each day until they seem to establish, is there more i need to
do this first year? They are each about 5ft tall with some leaves.
There is a stake to keep them somewhat straight and both are pretty much
in full sun area.

I live in Norfolk USA area (Zone 7). I expect the squirrels to get most
of the fruits, but to be able to garner smoking wood for the fireplace
and smoker, and many a few apples.

You really should not be fertilizing first year trees.

I would cover them with mulch and some slow release fertilizer to
keep them at uniform temperature this winter and to give them a
slow release of energy for next spring. The other poster's idea
of a cleared ring around the tree is a good one. Don't pile any
mulch close to the trunk and extend the circle out to the drip line.

sherwin