Old 25-10-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hi, new to apple trees

I just planted 2. One is a Yellow Delicious semi-dwarf and the other is a
Granny Smith. They are about 15 ft apart.

Besides adding a tree spike food about 2 ft from the base of each and
watering each day until they seem to establish, is there more i need to do
this first year? They are each about 5ft tall with some leaves. There is a
stake to keep them somewhat straight and both are pretty much in full sun
area.

I live in Norfolk USA area (Zone 7). I expect the squirrels to get most of
the fruits, but to be able to garner smoking wood for the fireplace and
smoker, and many a few apples.

Old 25-10-2009, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
DEM DEM is offline

I just planted 2. One is a Yellow Delicious semi-dwarf and the other is a
Granny Smith. They are about 15 ft apart.

Besides adding a tree spike food about 2 ft from the base of each and
watering each day until they seem to establish, is there more i need to do
this first year? They are each about 5ft tall with some leaves. There is
a stake to keep them somewhat straight and both are pretty much in full
sun area.

I live in Norfolk USA area (Zone 7). I expect the squirrels to get most
of the fruits, but to be able to garner smoking wood for the fireplace and
smoker, and many a few apples.

I live in Zone 8-9 clear across the USofA from you but have also
planted semi-dwarf apples trees. I had them in the ground in Spring
and I was amazed how much they grew this past summer.

I pretty much handled the planting as you have described. I use my
weed-eater a lot so I did protect the small trunks with PVC pipe.
I also have the trees planted inside a 3" diameter circle which not
only helps keep the weeds down but it allows more water to reach
the roots.

Keep in touch! I'm hoping for a few apples this time next year.

Donna
inWA

Old 27-10-2009, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hope you have more luck than I am having. My trees are about 15 years old
and I had some great fruit years ago, was using Ortho's Orchard Spray, came
in powder form 2 tbsps to a gallon and for years I had fantastic apples.
Along came regulations Ortho's Orchard Spray not available any more, nothing
absolutely nothing helps any more..i JUST GAVE UP and buy my apples from
Sam's Club

Old 30-10-2009, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"DEM" wrote in message
[...]

This is the first I have heard that Ortho's Orchard Spray is
unavailable. I'm pretty sure you can still buy it in the concentrated
liquod form. It probably works just as well as the powder with less
chance of clogging your sprayer. As a fallback, there are plenty of
good substitutes for this product. You may have to buy the insecticide
and fungicides separately and mix them together.

I'm sure Sam's Club apples don't taste as good as those grown on your
own tree. They also are limited in the choice of varieties.

Sherwin
Old 30-10-2009, 08:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

cshenk wrote:
I just planted 2. One is a Yellow Delicious semi-dwarf and the other is
a Granny Smith. They are about 15 ft apart.

Besides adding a tree spike food about 2 ft from the base of each and
watering each day until they seem to establish, is there more i need to
do this first year? They are each about 5ft tall with some leaves.
There is a stake to keep them somewhat straight and both are pretty much
in full sun area.

I live in Norfolk USA area (Zone 7). I expect the squirrels to get most
of the fruits, but to be able to garner smoking wood for the fireplace
and smoker, and many a few apples.

You really should not be fertilizing first year trees.

I would cover them with mulch and some slow release fertilizer to
keep them at uniform temperature this winter and to give them a
slow release of energy for next spring. The other poster's idea
of a cleared ring around the tree is a good one. Don't pile any
mulch close to the trunk and extend the circle out to the drip line.

sherwin