Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Ivy + old house = potential problem?

"Charlie" wrote in message
We're hacking down Ivy now from an 1880's house, it's been up there for

god
knows how long! It's pulling Mortar out as it goes, up to half an inch in
places. We're trying a different method, cutting out the main trunks and
letting it die a little to see if it loosens it's grip!

Charlie.

Old houses are more vulnerable as they have a soft 'lime-mortar' into which
roots can penetrate. Modern hard mortars are less susceptible to damage by
ivy.

***BUT*** do not repoint with hard mortar. Use a lime mortar!

see http://www.ryedaleconservation.com/tech1.htm for info on lime mortar

pk