Old 17-04-2003, 05:08 PM
hughchal

Default Ivy + old house = potential problem?

Hi,

I recently moved into a new (to me) house built probably in the 1880s. The
brickwork appears to have been recently cleaned / repointed. There is a
fairly vigorous ivy growing up part of it.

It looks nice, but I'm worried about the effects on the brickwork.

Any suggestions? Trim it or take it down?

Sorry if this has been covered before but Google only throws up stuff about
ivy on trees...

Thanks
--
h u g h c h a l A T e i r c o m D O T n e t
Old 17-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Tumbleweed

"hughchal" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently moved into a new (to me) house built probably in the 1880s. The
brickwork appears to have been recently cleaned / repointed. There is a
fairly vigorous ivy growing up part of it.

It looks nice, but I'm worried about the effects on the brickwork.

Any suggestions? Trim it or take it down?

Sorry if this has been covered before but Google only throws up stuff

about
ivy on trees...

Once its on brickwork it does tend to make a mess. At the least I would
concentrate on trimming it back so it doesnt ruin any more brickwork. Pull a
few bits off and see what its like underneath, you may have to keep it on
that area now as it will look awful underneath. I've gota small area on a
garage where I pulled ivy off 2 years ago and its clearly visible and
probably always will be I've grown a clematis on netting over that bit.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Charlie

We're hacking down Ivy now from an 1880's house, it's been up there for god
knows how long! It's pulling Mortar out as it goes, up to half an inch in
places. We're trying a different method, cutting out the main trunks and
letting it die a little to see if it loosens it's grip!

Charlie.

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"hughchal" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 17-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message
We're hacking down Ivy now from an 1880's house, it's been up there for

god
knows how long! It's pulling Mortar out as it goes, up to half an inch in
places. We're trying a different method, cutting out the main trunks and
letting it die a little to see if it loosens it's grip!

Charlie.

Old houses are more vulnerable as they have a soft 'lime-mortar' into which
roots can penetrate. Modern hard mortars are less susceptible to damage by
ivy.

***BUT*** do not repoint with hard mortar. Use a lime mortar!

see http://www.ryedaleconservation.com/tech1.htm for info on lime mortar

pk

Old 17-04-2003, 07:08 PM
JennyC

"hughchal" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently moved into a new (to me) house built probably in the

1880s. The
brickwork appears to have been recently cleaned / repointed. There

is a
fairly vigorous ivy growing up part of it.

It looks nice, but I'm worried about the effects on the brickwork.

Any suggestions? Trim it or take it down?

Sorry if this has been covered before but Google only throws up

stuff about
ivy on trees...
Thanks

We had a huge duscussion here some years ago about this very
subject...........Opinions were divided........

There is a FAQ : http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqivy.html

Hope it helps :~)
Jenny

Old 18-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Brian Watson

"hughchal" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently moved into a new (to me) house built probably in the 1880s. The
brickwork appears to have been recently cleaned / repointed. There is a
fairly vigorous ivy growing up part of it.

It looks nice, but I'm worried about the effects on the brickwork.

Any suggestions?

It is the spawn of Satan.

Fight it now while you still can.

--
Brian
"Happy St George's Day. It either is, just was, or soon will be."

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM
Potential censure?!? Larry Harrell alt.forestry 5 08-01-2003 03:02 PM