Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Are fall leaves toxic?

Awl --

You'd think so, the way homeowners/landscapers run around with leaf blowers
getting rid of every single last one of them.

Is eliminating leaves that important?
What would happen if people *didn't* blow every leaf off their property?

What I find strange is that people will blow leaves off of bare dirt --
seems to me you'd WANT leaves covering soil.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/public/46613.html says that shredding leaves and
covering the lawn with them is a good thing.
Basically anything you do with leaves except burn them is OK -- leaves
collected by landscapers eventually get composted by the municipality -- I
think.

Personally, I think my neighbors are just a little to fanatic with this leaf
blowing thing -- jmo.
--
EA