Old 23-11-2009, 09:16 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendation

I have 43 acres/17 hectares about an hour north of Perth. About 10 years ago
planted about 200 wattles, some gums, casuarina's, weeping peppermints and a
few other things. I must have done something right as the local stuff grew
twice as high as they should. Some have encroached into the firebreaks and
they have a nice crop of veldt grass underneath. I have about 12 dead trees
to remove.

I have a Deutscher H26 it is wonderful on the weeds but this section I can't
get into with the lower tree branches most of which are dead. This is due to
a lack of light and some pruning done at the end of the branches at
firebreak time. My neighbour has a 3 sawblade affair that connects to
hydraulics on his dozer but they don't go back to the tree trunk like I
want. The other thing is the dozer can only do the perimeter

So I need a reliable chainsaw that will cut through the lower branches some
of which are 4 inches/100 mm thick. It will also need to remove the dead
trees which have trunks 8 inches/ 200 mm thick. Just want something gutsy
that I am not spending ages on a tree branch. Would prefer secondhand to
save on costs. I have a 16 inch Homelite chainsaw but it won't look at this!
I have had a McCulloch in the past but it was a crap model that needed parts
all the time. What would suit the job, something bigger like a 20 inch and
what make and model is a good one with spare parts still availabe? Oh
something that has fuel and oil that is easy to get at too. Any help would
be much appreciated :c)

Anyone know how to eliminate African Lovegrass?

Cheers

Rick