Old 24-11-2009, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Heated Propagator

mark writes

"Aries" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:27:25 -0000, mark wrote:

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

There's lots of different types of gardeners! Depends on what gardening
you do.

Plus: good constant warmth for germinating seeds, giving bottom heat to
cuttings
Minus: small size usually. Which of all your seeds will you use it for?
How will you manage the transition from nice warm propagator to cooler
greenhouse or whatever. Needs more care over watering - easier to let
seedlings dry out

I've had one for years Mark and use it every early Spring for bringing on
seeds early before hardening off. I wouldn't be without it.

It has a dual use as during the Winter I line it with a comfy cushion and
my
cats sleep in it in an outside building, it keeps them warm and cosy ;-)

I haven't got a cat so perhaps I need to get one to maximise the benefit of
a propagator.

My next question is any tips on buying one. Seems to be a lot of choice out
there.
Or is getting a soil warming cable and a homemade tray a better option?

It's certainly a possibility. You can get a much larger size like that.
You'll need a thermostat. And my comments about watering apply - it'll
be easier to manage if you have lids over the pots - either by putting
them all into standard non-heated propagators, or by making a bid
transparent lid to go over the whole thing.
--
Kay