Old 23-11-2009, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heated Propagator

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

mark

Old 23-11-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:
Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the
cupboard?
mark

Do you live in an igloo? Think about it
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Pete C
London UK

Old 23-11-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

mark wrote:
Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the
cupboard?
mark

Do you live in an igloo? Think about it
--
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Thought about...nope...you've lost me.
Not too many sockets in an igloo I would guess.

mark

Old 23-11-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote
Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

I was given two by a friend that was emigrating to Oz a few years back,
never used such before but I'm now a convert. Seeds germinate much quicker,
especially things that like a bit of heat, and cuttings take quicker.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-11-2009, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:27:25 -0000, mark wrote:

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

mark

I've had one for years Mark and use it every early Spring for bringing on
seeds early before hardening off. I wouldn't be without it.

It has a dual use as during the Winter I line it with a comfy cushion and
my
cats sleep in it in an outside building, it keeps them warm and cosy ;-)

I haven't got a cat so perhaps I need to get one to maximise the benefit of
a propagator.

My next question is any tips on buying one. Seems to be a lot of choice out
there.
Or is getting a soil warming cable and a homemade tray a better option?

mark

Old 24-11-2009, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mark wrote:
Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

I love my sandwich toaster!!
Old 24-11-2009, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

mark writes

"Aries" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:27:25 -0000, mark wrote:

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

There's lots of different types of gardeners! Depends on what gardening
you do.

Plus: good constant warmth for germinating seeds, giving bottom heat to
cuttings
Minus: small size usually. Which of all your seeds will you use it for?
How will you manage the transition from nice warm propagator to cooler
greenhouse or whatever. Needs more care over watering - easier to let
seedlings dry out

I've had one for years Mark and use it every early Spring for bringing on
seeds early before hardening off. I wouldn't be without it.

It has a dual use as during the Winter I line it with a comfy cushion and
my
cats sleep in it in an outside building, it keeps them warm and cosy ;-)

I haven't got a cat so perhaps I need to get one to maximise the benefit of
a propagator.

My next question is any tips on buying one. Seems to be a lot of choice out
there.
Or is getting a soil warming cable and a homemade tray a better option?

It's certainly a possibility. You can get a much larger size like that.
You'll need a thermostat. And my comments about watering apply - it'll
be easier to manage if you have lids over the pots - either by putting
them all into standard non-heated propagators, or by making a bid
transparent lid to go over the whole thing.
--
Kay
Old 24-11-2009, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mark wrote:

My next question is any tips on buying one. Seems to be a lot of choice
out there.
Or is getting a soil warming cable and a homemade tray a better option?

mark

Best to get one with a thermostat. Definitely get a thermostat if you make
your own. The problem with no thermostat is the overheating that can take
place on very sunny days, especially if the ventilation is a bit lacking.
If you put a thermometer inside you will be amazed at the sort of
temperatures attained in mid-afternoon after 6 hours of sunshine even in
January.

One other thing to consider is getting a timer to turn the heating off
intermittently at night. There are a number of seeds which germinate more
readily if they are exposed to differing temperatures during the day, rather
than a constant high temperature.

Your heated propagator will also prove useful in early autumn for those
cuttings which need a bit of bottom heat to encourage them to root.

--
Jeff

Old 24-11-2009, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
mark wrote:
Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent
of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

I love my sandwich toaster!!

In that case, a couple of rounds of cheese and pickle please.

mark

Old 24-11-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
mark writes

"Aries" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Make one that you can sit an aluminium cold frame on top. In the winter
cover it with bubble plastic. Mine works well with an 80W soil wqarming
cable (with thermostat

Malcolm

Old 24-11-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

mark

It depends on what you are doing/planning to do and what other resources you
have.

If you are planning to take a lot of cuttings (especially of
hard-to-propogate varieties) and also try and raise plants from seeds
(especially early in the season) then a heated propogator may be of
assistance.

In a centrally heated house (especially one with an airing cupboard or a
shelf over a radiator) you can get acceptable results with a non-heated
propogator.

Likewise if you have a warm greenhouse then a heated propogator might be a
luxury (although if you are running a warm greenhouse then you can
presumably afford luxuries).

I have never had one (although I have used the non-heated variety) and
managed to take cuttings and raise plants from seed.
It depends on how critical it is to have seeds germinate quickly and
cuttings to root quickly and with minimal loss.
If you are raising tender and/or unusual plants or if you are in a region
with a short growing season then you will see more benefit than if you live
in a gentle climate with a long growing season.
There have been various dicusssions over the time it takes early seedling to
grow to maturity vs. later plantings and some maintain that there is not a
lot of difference.

Likewise if your main diet is toasted sandwiches you are more likely to get
good value from a sandwich toaster than if it is an impulse buy when you are
feeling hungry and looking at the Argos catalogue :-)

HTH

Dave R

Old 24-11-2009, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

mark

Thanks for the responses.
I'll go looking for a midsized propagator with a thermostat, and then
consider building my own larger version with soil warming cables, if I can
identify a need for such and a suitable space to park it.

mark

Old 24-11-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

Firstly are these a gardener's 'must-have or are they the kitchen
equivalent of a sandwich toaster that sits in the back of the cupboard?

mark

Thanks for the responses.
I'll go looking for a midsized propagator with a thermostat, and then
consider building my own larger version with soil warming cables, if I can
identify a need for such and a suitable space to park it.

Bear in mind that a larger one will take up less bench space than a smaller
one.
The self built one serves as a standard bench when in unheated status.

I have several !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 28-11-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , mark
writes
My next question is any tips on buying one. Seems to be a lot of choice out
there.
Or is getting a soil warming cable and a homemade tray a better option?

mark

I use a heated tray type affair with 4 propagators on top but also a
deep tray filled with sand and a soil cable. Personally i have found
sticking the cuttings straight into the sand without any top more
successful than the trays with lids and bottom heat.
However for germination they are very good!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Heated Propagator mystery/warning? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 11-02-2009 05:04 PM
Eco-friendly heated propagator? Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 13 10-04-2008 10:41 PM
Heated Sand Box Propagator green[_2_] United Kingdom 1 28-02-2008 03:33 PM
Heated Propagator ajr United Kingdom 5 12-02-2006 03:09 PM
Heated Propagator peterlsutton United Kingdom 10 23-04-2005 04:26 PM