Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Zucchini blossom end rot

My zuccs have BER! As I understand it the problem is due to deficiency of
calcium in the plant which can be brought about by uneven water availability
or lack of calcium in the soil. Well my zuccs have not been watered
unevenly, they have neither been saturated not allowed to wilt and they are
well mulched. The soil has been amended with lime and gypsum. They are
growing strongly with a multitude of flowers and fruit setting. One odd
thing is that normally this strikes on the fruit when they are quite small
but this time they are getting nearly to cutting size before it starts. As
a short term thing I am cutting them early which makes for nice tasty fruit
but a small harvest.

Any ideas from experience?

Any references to a detailed explanation of how BER happens, in particular
how uneven watering results in a mineral problem?

David