Old 19-12-2009, 09:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Holiday fun - a quiz on fruits and veges

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I made this up for my own amusement and to annoy my family over
Christmas dinner so thought I might share. One or two questions are in
nearly every trivia list to do with fruits and vegetables. One or two
are quite arcane. If you know six or more you are probably an
experienced gardener. If you know them all without peeking at a
reference you probably have a garden a bit like mine and read the same
books. Enjoy.

This was great fun! Thank you! When do we get to see the answers???

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods
before the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the
ground. Name one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the fruit.

Pumpkin

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different
parts of the plant are the same species?

Capsicum and pepper? (don't quite get what you mean by the question...
could it be globe and jerusalem artichoke?)

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a fruit,
that are usually grown as perennials.

Silverbeet, rhubarb, celery

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are the
same as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of potato?

In the usual way: selective cross-pollination and collection/germination
of seeds.

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

Cumquat

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are
completely different. What are they and which part of the plant is
consumed in each case?

Jerusalem artichoke (roots) and Globe artichoke (flowers/bracts).

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

Bananas are monocots (floral parts in multiples of three) and 'trees'
are dicots (floral parts in multiples of four or five).

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar tree
in your supermarket because it has not been developed as a commercial
crop like its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

Because it must be almost rotting before it's ready to eat.

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

Calyx (sepals)

David

;-D Got any more???