Old 19-12-2009, 10:35 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Holiday fun - a quiz on fruits and veges

I'll give it a go, before reading anyone else's responses.

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

(1) Most fruits and vegetables shed their seeds from fruits or pods before
the seed germinates and the seed then germinates in or on the ground. Name
one that has seeds that regularly germinate inside the fruit.

I can't wait to see the answers on this because I have no idea, and this
sounds intriguing. Watch it end up being something really obvious that
everyone else knows.

(2) Which common fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberry.

(3) Which two common vegetables that are grown for eating different parts
of the plant are the same species?

Carrot and dill? I know they are related, but I don't know if they are the
same species. Or cabbage and broccoli?

(4) Name three common edible plants, whose edible part is not a fruit,
that are usually grown as perennials.

Artichoke, asparagus, horseradish.

(5) Since potatoes are grown from seed potatoes (tubers) which are the
same as the parent how is it possible to breed new varieties of potato?

Don't know.

(6) Which member of the citrus family has fruit that are often enjoyed
whole, that is skin and all?

Kumquats.

(7) There are two vegetables that have a name in common but are completely
different. What are they and which part of the plant is consumed in each
case?

Radish and horseradish? The root is eaten in both cases.

(8) Bananas do not grow on trees. Explain.

Bananas are herbs.

(9) The chances are that you will never see the fruit of the medlar tree
in your supermarket because it has not been developed as a commercial crop
like its relatives the apple and pear. Why?

Because it has to ferment before it is eaten, and this would be hard to
gauge commercially?

(10) The rosella can be made into an unusual vibrant purple cordial or
jam. What part of the plant is so used?

The petals?

Good questions. I look forward to learning how well I did on the quiz!
--S.