Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default green taters

"Paul Simonite" wrote in message
The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these words:

got some really cheap potatoes at the supermarket
becuase they're starting to go green
do they lose the green colouration quicker with higher or lower
temperatures?

Once they've gone green they won't lose it again.

The green parts should not be eaten (especially by pregnant women)
because they contain
concentrations of solanine, the alkaloid that makes potato leaves and
fruits toxic .

Janet

There are many websites explaining the effectts of Solanine poisoning
through green potatoes. Here's just one of them:

http://www.promolux.com/english/reta..._greening.html

I always get a few green ones when diiggin mine from the garden. i
simply cut away the green bits and cook as normal; hoever, if they are
completely green I would be using them for adding to my compost heap
rahter than eaating.

--

I boil green potatoes up for my chickens in the winter, doesn't seem to harm
them at all. Seems to do them good.

I would not eat green potatoes myself.

Tina

Tina