Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Rainwater (was: [IBC] Too much lime)

Jim Lewis wrote:

Jim,
Why is distilled water no good? It doesn't have any minerals,

but I
assume rainwater doesn't either. Just curious.
John Carnes

Rainwater is FULL of minerals. Water is called the "universal
solvent." It dissolves almost everything that it touches, and as
it floats as vapor in the clouds, then passes through the air as
it falls, rain picks up everything it finds -- good, bad or
indifferent. snip

David Thoreau - Walden

For myself, I couldn't afford to use distilled water anyway. I use about 10
gallons a day to water my approximately 65 trees in pots and growing boxes. I have
rainbarrels at two corners of the house, and that usually keeps me going unless we
have a dry spell. Right now I'm using tap water (from a well) until we get rain
again.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a