Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 PM
P+C

Default Alien Invaders

"ned" wrote in message...
| HaaRoy wrote:
| Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and
| japanese knotweed in the UK?
| and who is doing it?
| where can one take part ?
|
| 'Don't know about co-ordinated plans, but Jap knotweed can be
| controlled by regular cutting back. I know of one site where it was
| eliminated in one season by systematically cutting it back as soon as
| it reappeared. A lot would depend on how well established the plant
| was but if you deprive most plants of their leaf growth (ability to
| photosynthesise) they will eventually succumb.

Sorry about the late reply but I have just joined the
group and reading through the posts.

We use to live in S Wales where the JKW had invaded
most of the gardens in our small village. (The
children called JKW "spotty" or "Bloody Mary".)

We were able to control the weed by digging up the large
corms and roots as much as possible but only a missed 1"
root piece produced a 2" shoot within a couple of days.
This was literally a red flag which could be pulled along
with the offending root. After that any further removal
was just part of normal weeding procedure.

Pauline