Old 06-12-2002, 06:37 PM
HaaRoy

Default Alien Invaders

Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

Old 06-12-2002, 08:58 PM
DaveDay34

Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

As far as I know, there are not, though there are local initiatives by some
local councils to erradicate Japanese Knotweed from certain areas, though this
has been largely unsuccessful as far as I can gather.

Dave.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:10 PM
snafu steve

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

Frankly I think you've got more chance of flying to the moon, but I wish you
the best of luck. We don't have JKW where I live (yet), but some friends of
ours do. If you've got it you have my sympathy.

Steve

Old 07-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Zizz

"HaaRoy" wrote in message
Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

Concerning Japanese Knotweed as quoted from
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Legal Status
In 1981, The Wildlife and Countryside Act made it illegal to spread Japanese
Knotweed. Any excavated soil from areas were Japanese Knotweed has
established must be disposed of at a licensed landfill site and not reused
in further construction or landscaping. When disposing of contaminated soil
it is essential that the landfill operator is made aware of the presence of
Japanese Knotweed and that the soil is not used for landscaping or
restoration works at the tip site. To ensure safe disposal contaminated
soils must be buried to a depth of at least 5 meters. Section 34 of the
Environmental Protection Act 1990 places a duty of care on all waste
producers to ensure that any wastes are disposed of safely and that a
written description of the wastes, and any specific harmful properties, is
provided to the site operator.

As for Rhododendrons .. sry can't help.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Victoria Clare

HaaRoy wrote in
:

Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

National Trust volunteers often have 'rhodie-bashing' sessions where the
plant has become a menace. I've been a few times with the North Devon
group, attacking overgrown parts of the coastline.

I think some of the member groups of the BTCV may also partake, and if they
don't, they will offer hedge-laying, coppicing, fencing or dry stone
walling days which are also vaguely worthy fun.

However, unless followed up by spraying and more bashing, the bashing does
not do a lot of good long-term. Rhodies just keep coming back.

My sister did a study of rhodie regeneration at a local nature reserve for
her Biology A-level - I helped!- and the sheer speed of the comeback is
awesome.

I have a vague feeling that I once did a rhodie bash in an area where there
were lots of deer, and the theory was that they would keep the young shoots
down once the rhodies were reduced to ground level, but I have no idea if
this worked.

Dunno about knotweed.

Victoria

Old 07-12-2002, 10:38 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Zizz
writes

As for Rhododendrons .. sry can't help.

I think there are plans to eradicate it from Scotland - or parts of
Scotland, anyway!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 07-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Essjay001

I have only heard of this as being a problem recently. does anyone have a
reference for pictures so I know what I am looking for.
Steve R

HaaRoy scribbled:

Old 07-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Steve Harris

Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?

The British National Party or National Front? :-)

I've seen Homo Sapiens var 'Indian' in next door's garden. Should I use
glyphosate? :-)

Old 08-12-2002, 10:05 AM
JennyC

HaaRoy scribbled:

"Essjay001" wrote in message
I have only heard of this as being a problem recently. does anyone

have a
reference for pictures so I know what I am looking for.
Steve R

Go to google advanced image search at :

http://images.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en

and type put Japanese knotweed in the exact phase box................
:~)

Jenny

Old 08-12-2002, 02:29 PM
Essjay001

thanks

JennyC scribbled:

HaaRoy scribbled:

"Essjay001" wrote in message
I have only heard of this as being a problem recently. does anyone
have a reference for pictures so I know what I am looking for.
Steve R
Go to google advanced image search at :

http://images.google.com/advanced_image_search?hl=en

and type put Japanese knotweed in the exact phase box................
~)

Jenny

Old 08-12-2002, 04:31 PM
cormaic

'Twas Sat, 7 Dec 2002 10:38:04 +0000, when Jane Ransom
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

I think there are plans to eradicate it from Scotland - or parts of
Scotland, anyway!!!

The National Trust in N.Wales has full time Rhody-burning
teams perched halfway up the Snowdonia Mountains. They even have teams
of volunteers coming in from overseas to help them out!

More info can be had from..

National Trust Office,
Craflwyn,
Beddgelert,
Gwynedd
LL55 4NG

01766 89065

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 08-12-2002, 05:31 PM
ned

HaaRoy wrote:
Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and

japanese
knotweed in the UK?
and who is doing it?
where can one take part ?

'Don't know about co-ordinated plans, but Jap knotweed can be
controlled by regular cutting back. I know of one site where it was
eliminated in one season by systematically cutting it back as soon as
it reappeared. A lot would depend on how well established the plant
was but if you deprive most plants of their leaf growth (ability to
photosynthesise) they will eventually succumb.

Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 PM
P+C

"ned" wrote in message...
| HaaRoy wrote:
| Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and
| japanese knotweed in the UK?
| and who is doing it?
| where can one take part ?
|
| 'Don't know about co-ordinated plans, but Jap knotweed can be
| controlled by regular cutting back. I know of one site where it was
| eliminated in one season by systematically cutting it back as soon as
| it reappeared. A lot would depend on how well established the plant
| was but if you deprive most plants of their leaf growth (ability to
| photosynthesise) they will eventually succumb.

Sorry about the late reply but I have just joined the
group and reading through the posts.

We use to live in S Wales where the JKW had invaded
most of the gardens in our small village. (The
children called JKW "spotty" or "Bloody Mary".)

We were able to control the weed by digging up the large
corms and roots as much as possible but only a missed 1"
root piece produced a 2" shoot within a couple of days.
This was literally a red flag which could be pulled along
with the offending root. After that any further removal
was just part of normal weeding procedure.

Pauline

Old 18-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "P+C" contains these words:

| HaaRoy wrote:
| Is there any coordinated plans to eradicate rhodedendrons and
| japanese knotweed in the UK?
| and who is doing it?
| where can one take part ?

I missed that post.

Conservation/environment groups arrange workparties, either day groups
or residential; (like National Trust for Scotland Thistle Camps, which
are not usually accommodated in tents btw). You should be able to find a
list of local conservation groups at your local council's environmental
services.

Janet.

Fed up with illegal alien invaders? brad herschel Gardening 8 16-05-2010 07:54 AM
"A good illegal alien is a dead illegal alien". Cannot bedisputed. Ted[_2_] Gardening 13 14-03-2008 11:04 AM
BBC HOUSE INVADERS K. Dhami Gardening 3 04-11-2003 03:12 PM
PLACE INVADERS Chris Tondreau Ponds 1 05-06-2003 11:44 PM
Alien invaders P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:29 PM