Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Tomato Problem

Jonno wrote:
This sounds like a fungal attack to me though I cannot say which one.
Has the weather been very wet and/or humid lately? There isn't much
you can do immediately except destroy the affected plants (burying
away from the vege garden is good) and replant away from the
infected area. Plant with wider spacing and tie them up religiously
to allow air to circulate. Try other cultivars because some are much
more resistent to fungus than others. Also be careful with watering.
Try to keep the leaves dry and just water the roots and avoid
kicking up mud with the hose. Drippers or soakers are good here
instead of sprayers or hosing. David

Yep David is probiscly right, but if you had planted a fungal
resistant type, you may have avoided the problem. also antifungal
sprays would also help. This needs to be applied when fungal problems
are most prevalent. IE high humidity.

It goes to show I can't be wrong all the time. Clearly I am not a
scientist.

This is caused by climate change, and we need to have the Copenhagen
treaty signed before it will work. Ask David Hare Scott about this...
Higher TAXATION WILL DEFINITELY HELP WITH THIS.

Local humidity is caused by weather. Whether the chance of the weather
trending towards more or less humidity in a particular location over the
next 30 years or whether it's because there is a wether standing over your
tomatos is another matter.

David