Old 18-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Shiva

Default Breaking Dormancy...

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:43:21 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

How long does it normally take for a rose to break dormancy once
planted?

Although ten or so are leafing out nicely, two of my BIG GORGEOUS S&W
Greenhouse bareroots are just beginning to sprout. I think it depends
on the rose variety, and certainly how you are caring for the rose.
Keeping it moist with a daily soak of the soil and spray of the canes?
Lightly mounding with pine straw to keep the canes from drying out?

I bought a box J&P Pristine from Lowes two weeks ago and she
has yet to break dormancy. The pith of the canes look fine once the
dead ends were cut off.

These roses are usually busting out of their boxes. Tell me, did you
leave yours in the box, and if so, was the box already breaking down
from being watered, or not? Many people recommend removing these roses
from the box, and I think that makes sense. But every one I have
planted was in a box that was falling apart since I took too long
planting it. G

I'm stumped and impatient especially now that I
have a J&P sale catalog at home. *grin*

Susan--go to the S&W Greenhouse site and look. Prices are better and I
can vouch for the BIG HEALTHY plants. They might be shipping only
potted now, though.

Also--consider trying some ownroots. I LOVE Roses Unlimited, though
they have no online ordering. You pay via check and order via
telephone. But WONDERFUL plants! Also--Muncy's Rose Emporium, out of
Florida. I really like Ken and Susie Muncy. The roses arrive packed
kind of funky but they are very healthy and grow big fast! (We are
fast getting out of bare root season. Once it gets hot here it is too
hard to baby them, and they dry out too fast. Plus, everyone in the
world around here carried J&P! Try Buchanan's on Western Blvd almost
to Cary. They have a HUGE herd of J&P and Weeks roses, all very
healthy, all 13.99-20.00 dollars. Everything else there is overpriced
this year, but the roses are good! I SAW pristine there, too!

Shiva, my newest DD is sporting a bud. I'll take some pictures as it
gets closer to blooming. I'm planning on using the test web server I am
currently working on as my garden website. *smile* Sometimes there are
some distinct advantages to being a web administrator. The web server
is already up and running I'm working on the content management system
right now. Once that's done, if anyone wants me to, I can post other
people's pictures there also. (In my most optimistic mode, I would love
to be able to open it up so other people can do it themsevles. Like I
said, I'm being wildly optimistic at the moment.)

This all sounds wonderful, and I can't wait!!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu