Old 18-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Rob Halgren

Default deflasking paphs

Wing wrote:

Just read an idea couple of days ago somewhere.
The suggestion was to gently place a metal rod (as thick as will fit
through the neck and carefully guided past the plants) into the flask until
it touches the centre base opposite the neck, wrap flask in newspaper or
towel, then tap the other end of rod with hammer. This should knock the base
out. Sounds alright in principle and would seem the be a lot less risk to
you and the plants. I will try that way on my first flask purchase.

In the magic of jargon, that rod is called a 'drift' (why, I don't
know). It doesn't even need to be as thick as the neck of the flask,
just a solid piece that isn't pointed at the end. A 1/2" diameter rod
will work, or a piece of 're-bar'. Too big and you will smush plants
in the middle of the flask. I'd still use the paper bag (you have
dozens of them lying around anyway, right?), mainly to catch glass. You
will probably still get some shards of glass, it is rare that the bottom
of the flask comes off in one piece.
Somehow whacking the flask with a hammer is more soothing... Perhaps
that is just testosterone talking.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit