Old 18-01-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Re-using compost

On 18 Jan, 17:45, Stuart Noble wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Carryduff" wrote

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

Just dig it in, unless your raised bed is on concrete you don't need to
replace the soil/compost every year, I don't replace all the soil on my
allotment annually.
Incorporate some well rotted manure which you can purchase in bags at
most GCs.

Presumably multi purpose compost from garden centres breaks down into
something nutritious eventually. It's vegetable based after all

I don't understand what you mean by "Throwing away" the old compost.
If you have any beds/borders in your garden then you can use the old
compost as a mulch on existing beds.
You can add it to the soil if you are planting shrubs or hardy plants.
You can re use it in the beds with the addition of fertilizer and/or
some more compost, but remember you may well have some trace of salts
from last years fertilizer left.
Bearing in mind that there are "Raised beds" and "Raised Beds", some
not much bigger than a window box with all bought in compost, others 4
or 6ft wide, 2 or 3ft high and 15 or 20 ft long - or more and filled
with garden soil. This is typical of beds designed for wheel chair
users
David Hill