Old 18-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Registered User

Default Re-using compost

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just throwing it all out. Thanks
Old 18-01-2010, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Carryduff

We just carry on with ours and top it up with new!!

Certainly don't chuck it out!!

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 18-01-2010, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carryduff" wrote

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

Just dig it in, unless your raised bed is on concrete you don't need to
replace the soil/compost every year, I don't replace all the soil on my
allotment annually.
Incorporate some well rotted manure which you can purchase in bags at most
GCs.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-01-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Carryduff" wrote

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

Just dig it in, unless your raised bed is on concrete you don't need to
replace the soil/compost every year, I don't replace all the soil on my
allotment annually.
Incorporate some well rotted manure which you can purchase in bags at
most GCs.

Presumably multi purpose compost from garden centres breaks down into
something nutritious eventually. It's vegetable based after all
Old 18-01-2010, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 Jan, 17:45, Stuart Noble wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Carryduff" wrote

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

Just dig it in, unless your raised bed is on concrete you don't need to
replace the soil/compost every year, I don't replace all the soil on my
allotment annually.
Incorporate some well rotted manure which you can purchase in bags at
most GCs.

Presumably multi purpose compost from garden centres breaks down into
something nutritious eventually. It's vegetable based after all

I don't understand what you mean by "Throwing away" the old compost.
If you have any beds/borders in your garden then you can use the old
compost as a mulch on existing beds.
You can add it to the soil if you are planting shrubs or hardy plants.
You can re use it in the beds with the addition of fertilizer and/or
some more compost, but remember you may well have some trace of salts
from last years fertilizer left.
Bearing in mind that there are "Raised beds" and "Raised Beds", some
not much bigger than a window box with all bought in compost, others 4
or 6ft wide, 2 or 3ft high and 15 or 20 ft long - or more and filled
with garden soil. This is typical of beds designed for wheel chair
users
David Hill

Old 18-01-2010, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carryduff" wrote in message

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

It isn't normally thrown out. Just keep adding fresh compost on top of the
old. The old compost will be gradually reduced by continuing decomposition
so there will be suprisingly little build up of volume in your beds.

Tim W

Old 19-01-2010, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Carryduff wrote:
I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

I either spread it over the beds and dig it in or put it on the
composter to make real compost.

Regards

Alan
Old 19-01-2010, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Carryduff" wrote in message

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

We never replace it, the cost would be prohibitive. We add stuff from the
compost heap to the raised beds and fork it in - works well for us. If we
haven't enough for all the beds, we just add some shop-bought potting/soing
compost to bulk it up.

Ros
Old 19-01-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
"Carryduff" wrote in message
I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds and would
appreciate any and all advice as to what I would need to add to return
it to its original state. Surely there has to be a better way than just
throwing it all out. Thanks

It isn't normally thrown out. Just keep adding fresh compost on top of the
old. The old compost will be gradually reduced by continuing decomposition

But what does it decompose into? Seems a pointless discussion unless one
knows what it consisted of originally and what it becomes when it rots
down. How does decomposed B&Q compost differ from any other rotted
vegetable material?

I grew a bumper crop of spuds in nothing but said compost, which
supposedly has very limited nutrients. Over a period of a few months the
"compost" broke down to a fine powder, which went on to support various
flowers without the need for further nutrients.

I think maybe it's time someone defined the term "compost". Is it the
semi-rotted tree bark you buy in B&Q or the stuff that comes out of your
compost bin? It surely can't be both

Old 19-01-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
I don't understand what you mean by "Throwing away" the old compost.
If you have any beds/borders in your garden then you can use the old
compost as a mulch on existing beds.

I've just emptied 5 gro-bags full of tomatoified soil on the left border
of the garden, plus one to patch up the grass soil by the chickens. Got
another 5 to empty when we do the Other Greenhouse.

Old 19-01-2010, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
Tim W wrote:
"Carryduff" wrote in message

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds ....

... The old compost will be gradually reduced by continuing decomposition

But what does it decompose into? Seems a pointless discussion unless one
knows what it consisted of originally and what it becomes when it rots
down. How does decomposed B&Q compost differ from any other rotted
vegetable material?

I grew a bumper crop of spuds in nothing but said compost, which
supposedly has very limited nutrients. Over a period of a few months the
"compost" broke down to a fine powder, which went on to support various
flowers without the need for further nutrients.

I think maybe it's time someone defined the term "compost". Is it the
semi-rotted tree bark you buy in B&Q or the stuff that comes out of your
compost bin? It surely can't be both

I am no biochemist but I guess it is the standard reaction of hydrocarbons
plus oxygen turns to water and carbon dioxide shedding a little energy in
the process and I would guess it is done with the assistance of all kinds of
micro organisms, fungi and small animals.

Tim W

Old 20-01-2010, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tim W wrote:
"Carryduff" wrote in message

[...]

But don't you think maybe we're being conned? The general purpose peat
free compost from B&Q etc, which we are encouraged to think of as
exhausted of nutrients after a few weeks, must surely decompose, like
any other vegetable material, into useful nutrients. Perhaps it doesn't
provide a complete range though. Dunno, I'm not a chemist either.
Old 20-01-2010, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
. com...

I think maybe it's time someone defined the term "compost". Is it the
semi-rotted tree bark you buy in B&Q or the stuff that comes out of your
compost bin? It surely can't be both

Yes it can. It also includes the soil and peat ad fertiliser based stuff
too. Makes for a lot of confusion.
--
Kay

Killing Weeds and using them as compost Crimson Castle Australia 19 26-08-2004 11:03 PM
Killing Weeds and using them as compost Crimson Castle Gardening 17 26-08-2004 11:03 PM
Using compost for topdressing a lawn? Ignoramus29645 Gardening 2 26-05-2004 06:04 PM
Using a Compost Bin Ellie C Gardening 18 20-02-2004 11:42 PM
Using compost as topdressing for lawn? Ahroo Gardening 0 14-04-2003 11:08 PM