Old 19-01-2010, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Re-using compost

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
om...
Tim W wrote:
"Carryduff" wrote in message

I would like to re-use last years compost from my raised beds ....

... The old compost will be gradually reduced by continuing decomposition

But what does it decompose into? Seems a pointless discussion unless one
knows what it consisted of originally and what it becomes when it rots
down. How does decomposed B&Q compost differ from any other rotted
vegetable material?

I grew a bumper crop of spuds in nothing but said compost, which
supposedly has very limited nutrients. Over a period of a few months the
"compost" broke down to a fine powder, which went on to support various
flowers without the need for further nutrients.

I think maybe it's time someone defined the term "compost". Is it the
semi-rotted tree bark you buy in B&Q or the stuff that comes out of your
compost bin? It surely can't be both

I am no biochemist but I guess it is the standard reaction of hydrocarbons
plus oxygen turns to water and carbon dioxide shedding a little energy in
the process and I would guess it is done with the assistance of all kinds of
micro organisms, fungi and small animals.

Tim W