Old 21-01-2010, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default phostrogen diluted for orchids

"john bently" wrote in message
Despite reading all sorts of complicated stuff on keeping orchids, ours
bought from morrisons supermarkets seem to do really well standing in our
living room just inside a south facing window and they flower repeatedly.

we stand the pots in a bowl of tepid water for twenty minutes every two
weeks.

One thing we are not sure about is exactly how to feed them. We have some
phostrogen plant food and wondered to what strength we should dilute it
when we stand the orchids in it to water them? Thanks for any advice.

Phostrogens' own instructions suggest feeding once a month during the
growing period. Use at half strength, ie: 1/2 level teaspoonful (2.25g)
dissolved in 9 litres (2 gallons) water.

What they don't say is that you should miss out the feed at every 3rd or 4th
watering to avoid a build-up of chemical salts.

Spider