Old 22-01-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default Hydrangeas are budding out

madgardener wrote in
:

On Jan 21, 11:48*am, Zootal wrote:
madgardener wrote
innews:3ee695ab-a41c-45ef-ae63

:

I've got tulips 2-3 inches tall. A few daffodils next to the house
are 8" tall. My Lilacs have been budding since mid December. We had a
week of weather in the 50's. Now it's down to the 30's. Spring is
around the corner indeed, and Winter isn't even half over.- Hide
quoted text -

you must deffinately be in a much warmer zone then. And if you have
tulips, are these returning perennial ones or some you planted in the
fall? Not all tulips are perennial, sad to say. Wow, Lilacs budding
since December. I am only now thinking of cutting a few branches of
the little forsythia in the front side yard to force into bloom. And I
have three little crocus jars with corms on the kitchen window and
this will be my first attempt at forcing a spring bulb indoors. Down
to the 30's. Well for some, that is cold enough. Do you know what
growing zone you're in Zoot?
I'm now in zone 7b in the western part of Tennessee there abouts. a
totally new experience for me, but something I look forwards to, with
a relatively blank canvas to plant up over the years. this time I will
take my time instead of cheek to jowl planting (not that me English
husband would like a cheek to jowl effect, he likes it non symetrical,
but not crammed up like I used to do my gardens of chaos. My only
regrets is he never saw one season of wild abandon blooming with all
the faeries in full working force. He will though, give us time.
madgardener

I'm in zone 8a. The tulips were planted several years ago, and they keep
coming back year after year. We don't get a lot of sub-freezing weather.
Every couple of weeks a cold snap will hit us for a few days, but it
quickly warms up and resumes raining. I saw some daffodils about 6 inches
tall yesterday, tulips an inch or so everywhere, but no crocuses yet.
Supposedly we can plant peas and onions in February, but every time I do
they just sit there in the mud until early March so I don't bother.

I just walked around my back yard and realized that only one of my lilacs
had green buds on it - the other is as dormant as can be.
Interesting...rhubarb is showing no signs of life. Roses are as dormant as
can be. Other then a few signs of life, most everything else is quite dead.