Old 19-01-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hydrangeas are budding out

I noticed today that my hydrangeas are budding out and starting to grow.
It's mid January, and we have had colder than usual weather, yet there they
go. And the tulips are pushing up through the ice and mud. I don't remember
them growing so early in previous years. Any hydrangea experts know when
they normally will start growing? I haven't even got around to pruning them
yet, didn't think they would bud out for another month or two.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:25:03 -0600, Zootal
wrote:

I noticed today that my hydrangeas are budding out and starting to grow.
It's mid January, and we have had colder than usual weather, yet there they
go. And the tulips are pushing up through the ice and mud. I don't remember
them growing so early in previous years. Any hydrangea experts know when
they normally will start growing? I haven't even got around to pruning them
yet, didn't think they would bud out for another month or two.

Mine are too. I no longer bury them in leaves in the fall, maybe
lazyness, and they have not bloom for many years. I think the buds
freeze or get eaten by deer. I still like the foliage, though. My
hydrangea also got too big, nearly 6 feet across, 4 feet high.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote in
:

wrote:

I noticed today that my hydrangeas are budding out and starting to
grow. It's mid January, and we have had colder than usual weather, yet
there they go. And the tulips are pushing up through the ice and mud.
I don't remember them growing so early in previous years. Any
hydrangea experts know when they normally will start growing? I
haven't even got around to pruning them yet, didn't think they would
bud out for another month or two.

Mine are too. I no longer bury them in leaves in the fall, maybe
lazyness, and they have not bloom for many years. I think the buds
freeze or get eaten by deer. I still like the foliage, though. My
hydrangea also got too big, nearly 6 feet across, 4 feet high.

We had almost a week of sub 20 degree weather. I'm not sure if I'll get any
blooms or not. I didn't prune them or do anything at all, I just let them
sit. We don't usually get cold weather like this, so they usually survive
the winter just fine and bloom like crazy all year long.
Old 21-01-2010, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 19, 3:25*pm, Zootal wrote:
I noticed today that my hydrangeas are budding out and starting to grow.
It's mid January, and we have had colder than usual weather, yet there they
go. And the tulips are pushing up through the ice and mud. I don't remember
them growing so early in previous years. Any hydrangea experts know when
they normally will start growing? I haven't even got around to pruning them
yet, didn't think they would bud out for another month or two.

if you don't want flowers on your hydrangea's then prune them. The
only way you can safely prune them and not sacrifice blossoms is to
prune them after they bloom in the late spring or early summer. not
sure where you're gardening, but here in my zone 7b climate, where
we've gotten sub-zero winds and single digit temperatures last week, I
too have seen buds on my variegated hydrangea. I'm not panicking. This
is planted on the NORTH side of my house, and the buds seem fine.
Another problem though that I see is my Korean Spice Viburnum has
bloomed one cluster of buds when I wasn't aware of it before the deep
freeze, as I found yesterday the remains of the partially opened bud
cluster. Rats. It's planted in direct hard Eastern sunlight, which
gets good Southern exposure as well as indirect western light in the
front edge of the garden where we live now. I may move it before sap
rises to another spot in the front yard where it won't get so much
direct sunlight. The main reason I planted it was specifically for
the highly fragrant flower clusters. Give your hydrangea time to wow
you. Hydrangea start seriously growing once true spring hits. For me,
it was in late March, mid April. And if you MUST prune, at least wait
for the true leaves to show and the real dead portions of the plant to
reveal itself once the leaves are out. If you go around your yard,
you'll see EVERYTHING has pre-Spring buds just waiting for the real
warmth to come and stay, not just false spring temperatures. Where are
you gardening? That also makes a difference.
madgardener seeing little green "tongues" of spring bulbs coming up as
well
Old 21-01-2010, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

madgardener wrote in
:

On Jan 19, 3:25*pm, Zootal wrote:
[...]

I've got tulips 2-3 inches tall. A few daffodils next to the house are
8" tall. My Lilacs have been budding since mid December. We had a week
of weather in the 50's. Now it's down to the 30's. Spring is around the
corner indeed, and Winter isn't even half over.

Old 22-01-2010, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 21, 11:48*am, Zootal wrote:
madgardener wrote :

I've got tulips 2-3 inches tall. A few daffodils next to the house are
8" tall. My Lilacs have been budding since mid December. We had a week
of weather in the 50's. Now it's down to the 30's. Spring is around the
corner indeed, and Winter isn't even half over.- Hide quoted text -

you must deffinately be in a much warmer zone then. And if you have
tulips, are these returning perennial ones or some you planted in the
fall? Not all tulips are perennial, sad to say. Wow, Lilacs budding
since December. I am only now thinking of cutting a few branches of
the little forsythia in the front side yard to force into bloom. And I
have three little crocus jars with corms on the kitchen window and
this will be my first attempt at forcing a spring bulb indoors. Down
to the 30's. Well for some, that is cold enough. Do you know what
growing zone you're in Zoot?
I'm now in zone 7b in the western part of Tennessee there abouts. a
totally new experience for me, but something I look forwards to, with
a relatively blank canvas to plant up over the years. this time I will
take my time instead of cheek to jowl planting (not that me English
husband would like a cheek to jowl effect, he likes it non symetrical,
but not crammed up like I used to do my gardens of chaos. My only
regrets is he never saw one season of wild abandon blooming with all
the faeries in full working force. He will though, give us time.
madgardener
Old 22-01-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

madgardener wrote in
:

On Jan 21, 11:48*am, Zootal wrote:
madgardener wrote
innews:3ee695ab-a41c-45ef-ae63

:

I've got tulips 2-3 inches tall. A few daffodils next to the house
are 8" tall. My Lilacs have been budding since mid December. We had a
week of weather in the 50's. Now it's down to the 30's. Spring is
around the corner indeed, and Winter isn't even half over.- Hide
[...]

I'm in zone 8a. The tulips were planted several years ago, and they keep
coming back year after year. We don't get a lot of sub-freezing weather.
Every couple of weeks a cold snap will hit us for a few days, but it
quickly warms up and resumes raining. I saw some daffodils about 6 inches
tall yesterday, tulips an inch or so everywhere, but no crocuses yet.
Supposedly we can plant peas and onions in February, but every time I do
they just sit there in the mud until early March so I don't bother.

I just walked around my back yard and realized that only one of my lilacs
had green buds on it - the other is as dormant as can be.
Interesting...rhubarb is showing no signs of life. Roses are as dormant as
can be. Other then a few signs of life, most everything else is quite dead.
Old 16-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered User

We had about a anniversary of sub 20 amount weather. I'm not abiding if I'll get any blooms or not. I didn't clip them or do annihilation at all, I just let them sit. We don't usually get algid acclimate like this, so they usually survive the winter just accomplished and blossom like crazy all year long.
Homemade Hydroponics

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Back Budding Ben Griffin Bonsai 25 14-03-2004 11:43 PM
[IBC] honeysuckle budding out Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 04-01-2004 06:21 PM
[IBC] honeysuckle budding out Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 04-01-2004 06:15 PM
Blueberries 1st year de-budding Tim B Edible Gardening 11 06-05-2003 02:21 AM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM